• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Arrow Starting with "having"

In the name of the Merciful Allah,
    Hi, I can't understand beginning a paragraph with a verb+ing . Please, from a grammatical standpoint explain to me starting speech with "having" in this quote: Now, having completed our tour of the nervous system, we return our attention briefly to its internal communication, the endocrine system.
    Thanks ahead.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Starting with "having"

Quote Originally Posted by Egyption Arrow View Post
    Hi, I can't understand beginning a paragraph with a verb+ing . Please, from a grammatical standpoint explain to me starting speech with "having" in this quote: Now, having completed our tour of the nervous system, we return our attention briefly to its internal communication, the endocrine system.
    Thanks ahead.
    "Now, having completed..." means "Now that we have completed...", it is a perfectly correct way to use 'having'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

Thanks ahead.
    Having completed the tour... [non-finite clause] could be short for Since we have completed the tour... [finite clause].

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Could this be applied to " having" in this quote: This chapter sketches the outline of the field of abnormal psychology and the varied training and activities of the people who work in it. First, however, we cover the ways in which abnormal behavior is defined and classified so that researchers and mental health professionals can communicate with each other about the people they see. Some of the issues here are probably more complex and controversial than you might expect. Having defined " abnormality", we then provide some basic information about the extent of behavioral abnormalities in the population at large.?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

Smile Re: Starting with "having"

Could this be applied to " having" in this quote: This chapter sketches the outline of the field of abnormal psychology and the varied training and activities of the people who work in it. First, however, we cover the ways in which abnormal behavior is defined and classified so that researchers and mental health professionals can communicate with each other about the people they see. Some of the issues here are probably more complex and controversial than you might expect. Having defined " abnormality", we then provide some basic information about the extent of behavioral abnormalities in the population at large.?
    In this case, Having defined 'abnormality'...[non-finite clause] could be short for Once we have defined 'abnormality'...[finite clause].