• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Australia and South Africa English Accents

I have just read that the Australian and South African accents look similar.

Do you agree?

Although I have already heard some South African English I really do not have reliable patterns of Australian English accents here.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Australia and South Africa English Accents

Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    I have just read that the Australian and South African accents look similar.

Do you agree?

Although I have already heard some South African English I really do not have reliable patterns of Australian English accents here.
    I assume you mean sound similar, not look similar.
    There are plenty of U-tube videos. Just do a search for "Australian accent".
    The Australian and South African accents may sound similar to people from the northern hemisphere , as might the Aussie and New Zealand accents. But they are all very distinguishable by speakers of any of those three.
    For example, to an Australian, Seth Efricans say their country like that. Some of their vowels are clipped short compared to Australian, and overall the SAE accent is probably closer to RP than the AusE accent.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

I have also read that Australian and South African accents are similar, this being attributed by the author to a process of "koineization" or levelling out of the accents of colonizers in the mishmash of nineteenth-century colonization. The English of the Falkland Islands was also included.

I must admit that to me personally, as a northern-hemisphere creature, Australian and South African sound very different. On the other hand, I am hard put to tell the difference between an Australian and a New Zealand accent.

South African English is of course affected by the sounds of the Dutch "Boer" language.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

They are quite different, but there are a number of similarities, which is understandable, since they both represent places which were populated at the same rough periods of time by the same demographics of England moving south.

I myself notice that many vowels, including those preceding "r", are quite similar in the two cases, but that the rolled R of South Africa, and their /a/ vowel in yeah (said more like ja) distinguish the two right away.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I assume you mean sound similar, not look similar.
    There are plenty of U-tube videos. Just do a search for "Australian accent".
    The Australian and South African accents may sound similar to people from the northern hemisphere , as might the Aussie and New Zealand accents. But they are all very distinguishable by speakers of any of those three.
    For example, to an Australian, Seth Efricans say their country like that. Some of their vowels are clipped short compared to Australian, and overall the SAE accent is probably closer to RP than the AusE accent.
    Thanks for the U-tube suggestion Raymott, but I really do not have access to their videos right now, might work for somebody else.

Well I found many samples of the Australian accent here:
    ABC.net.au
    It is a very pleasing English accent.

Indeed, now I reckon the Australian and South African accent sound quite different.

PS: Yes, that's what I meant 'sound similar' - thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I have watched the film "The Square" recently.
    I think the characters speak with a tipical AuE accent.
    The cast, Australian actors, can be found here: The Square Official Website | Some things can't be buried | In Cinemas July 31

I couldn't get exactly where the story took place but I assume it was somewhere in Australia.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    I have watched the film "The Square" recently.
    I think the characters speak with a tipical AuE accent.
    The cast, Australian actors, can be found here: The Square Official Website | Some things can't be buried | In Cinemas July 31

I couldn't get exactly where the story took place but I assume it was somewhere in Australia.
    The currency being thrown around in the first few seconds of the video are fair dinkum Aussie notes. The gold ones are $50, the blue-grey ones are $100.