Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Volcano1985's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 928
    #1

    The door wouldn't open!

    "I'm in the laundry room! The door wouldn't open!"

    Why not The door doesn't open! ?

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,104
    #2

    Re: The door wouldn't open!

    Quote Originally Posted by Volcano1985 View Post
    "I'm in the laundry room! The door wouldn't open!"

    Why not The door doesn't open! ?
    Yes. Or:
    The door won't open! (Probably the most common choice).
    I can't open the door!
    I can't get the door open!
    I can't get the door to open!

  3. Volcano1985's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 928
    #3

    Re: The door wouldn't open!

    I don't see that form below.


    Modal Use Positive Forms

    1 = Present 2 = Past 3 = Future Negative Forms

    1) Conditional

    1. If I were president, I would cut the cost of education.
    2. If I had been president, I would have cut the cost of education.
    3. If I were elected president next year, I would cut the cost of education.

    2) Past of "will"

    I said I would help you.
    He told me he would be here before 8:00.
    I said I wouldn't help you.
    He told me he would not be here before 8:00.

    3) Repetition in past

    When I was a kid, I would always go to the beach.
    When he was young, he would always do his homework.
    When I was a kid, I wouldn't go into the water by myself.
    When he got older, he would never do his homework.

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,104
    #4

    Re: The door wouldn't open!

    Quote Originally Posted by Volcano1985 View Post
    I don't see that form below.


    Modal Use Positive Forms

    1 = Present 2 = Past 3 = Future Negative Forms

    1) Conditional

    1. If I were president, I would cut the cost of education.
    2. If I had been president, I would have cut the cost of education.
    3. If I were elected president next year, I would cut the cost of education.

    2) Past of "will"

    I said I would help you.
    He told me he would be here before 8:00.
    I said I wouldn't help you.
    He told me he would not be here before 8:00.

    3) Repetition in past

    When I was a kid, I would always go to the beach.
    When he was young, he would always do his homework.
    When I was a kid, I wouldn't go into the water by myself.
    When he got older, he would never do his homework.
    This list looks like the various ways of using "would".
    My sentence was: "The door won't open!" This is the negation of "The door will open".
    In other words, there is no reason why it should appear on that list.
    Your "The door doesn't open! ?" is not on that list either.
    Since we both believe that the original "The door wouldn't open" sounds wrong in this context (such as it is), and we've both recast the sentence to a form that doesn't use "would", I'm wondering why you think the answer should come from this list?

  5. Volcano1985's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 928
    #5

    Re: The door wouldn't open!

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    This list looks like the various ways of using "would".
    My sentence was: "The door won't open!" This is the negation of "The door will open".
    In other words, there is no reason why it should appear on that list.
    Your "The door doesn't open! ?" is not on that list either.
    Since we both believe that the original "The door wouldn't open" sounds wrong in this context (such as it is), and we've both recast the sentence to a form that doesn't use "would", I'm wondering why you think the answer should come from this list?
    I mean they are the usages of would and I think the list does not include the way of using would like that, "The door wouldn't open!"

    In my language, I would say:

    The door does not open, The door is not opening, The door didn't open.That's probably why I don't get that usage of would in this sentence.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: May 2009
    • Posts: 349
    #6

    Re: The door wouldn't open!

    Quote Originally Posted by Volcano1985 View Post
    I mean they are the usages of would and I think the list does not include the way of using would like that, "The door wouldn't open!"

    In my language, I would say:

    The door does not open, The door is not opening, The door didn't open.That's probably why I don't get that usage of would in this sentence.
    I think it is just an extension of the irritable use of "will", as in "the (wretched) child won't do as he's told". In this case it is past tense (the wretched door wouldn't open when I tried it). Of course, as Raymott says, the present makes equally good sense in the imagined context.

  6. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,104
    #7

    Re: The door wouldn't open!

    Quote Originally Posted by Volcano1985 View Post
    I mean they are the usages of would and I think the list does not include the way of using would like that, "The door wouldn't open!"

    In my language, I would say:

    The door does not open, The door is not opening, The door didn't open.That's probably why I don't get that usage of would in this sentence.
    If you mean that the list doesn't contain "wouldn't" used with an inanimate subject, you're right - it doesn't. But it can be.
    The car wouldn't start.
    The printer wouldn't print my file.
    This is common and normal.
    But the usage in your original sentence is still strange - not because it's a door that won't/wouldn't, but because the person is more likely to say "won't".

Similar Threads

  1. [Essay] Open admission policy-essay
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-Mar-2009, 11:27
  2. Open AT or Open ON?
    By MarieV in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Nov-2007, 21:51
  3. to open an umbrella x to deploy an umbrella
    By jctgf in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-Nov-2007, 21:08
  4. open
    By siruss in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 19-Mar-2007, 17:03
  5. open water
    By sunjuvo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13-Jan-2004, 15:21

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •