Student or Learner
I'm not sure if this is the right discussion board to ask, but I hope it is.
A few minutes ago i got a phone call asking to speak to my boss. And she was away, somewhere in the office i suppose. I know it sounds incredibly stupid but then i realised that I don't know how to say it.
Direct translation from Korean, which is my native language, would be 'She's not at her seat right now'- but it just doesn't sound right. So could anybody tell me what people usually say in this occasion?
Then you may say:
- I'm afraid she's not available at the moment.
- I'm afraid she's not in her office for the time being.
- I'm afraid she's at a meeting.
There are many textbooks about business English. You may buy one and begin to read if you use English very often in your office.
- May I take a message for her?
- Could you leave a message?
- May I ask who's calling please?