... the surface of the ice is now dropping at a rate of up to 16m a year.

Hello.

BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | Antarctic glacier 'thinning fast'
    A study of satellite measurements of Pine Island glacier in west Antarctica reveals the surface of the ice is now dropping at a rate of up to 16m a year.

Can I say lowering instead of dropping?

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: ... the surface of the ice is now dropping at a rate of up to 16m a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Daruma View Post
    Hello.

BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | Antarctic glacier 'thinning fast'
    A study of satellite measurements of Pine Island glacier in west Antarctica reveals the surface of the ice is now dropping at a rate of up to 16m a year.

Can I say lowering instead of dropping?

Thank you.
    Sure!!

"
    Main Entry: drop
    Part of Speech: verb
    Definition: let go of; fall
    Synonyms:
    abandon, bring down, cave in, collapse, decline, depress, descend, dive, duck, dump, fell, floor, flop, give up, go down, ground, keel over, knock, loosen, lower, nose-dive, pitch, plummet, plump, plunge, release, relinquish, shed, shoot, sink, slide, slip, slump, topple, tumble, unload
    Antonyms:
    ascend, mount, rise, take up
    "
    from Dropping Synonym | Synonym of Dropping and Antonym of Dropping at Thesaurus.com

P.S.: I am not a English native speaker, if it is really important try to confirm with someone else.
    Last edited by Abstract Idea; 14-Aug-2009 at 13:46. Reason: spelling correction

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    Sure!!

"
    Main Entry: drop
    Part of Speech: verb
    Definition: let go of; fall
    Synonyms:
    abandon, bring down, cave in, collapse, decline, depress, descend, dive, duck, dump, fell, floor, flop, give up, go down, ground, keel over, knock, loosen, lower, nose-dive, pitch, plummet, plump, plunge, release, relinquish, shed, shoot, sink, slide, slip, slump, topple, tumble, unload
    Antonyms:
    ascend, mount, rise, take up
    "
    from Dropping Synonym | Synonym of Dropping and Antonym of Dropping at Thesaurus.com

P.S.: I am not a English native speaker, if it is really important try to confirm with someone else.
    I hope you're not suggesting that, since a list of synonyms includes 'lower', that you can interchange 'drop' with 'lower' wherever it appears.
    If you are, then this is wrong. That isn't the function of a thesaurus at all.
    There are perhaps one or two words in that list that can be substituted for 'drop' in this case.
    Arguably, 'lower' is one of them, but 'lower' is usually used transitively.
    'The ice is now lowering' does not sound right to me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I hope you're not suggesting that, since a list of synonyms includes 'lower', that you can interchange 'drop' with 'lower' wherever it appears.
    If you are, then this is wrong. That isn't the function of a thesaurus at all.
    There are perhaps one or two words in that list that can be substituted for 'drop' in this case.
    Arguably, 'lower' is one of them, but 'lower' is usually used transitively.
    'The ice is now lowering' does not sound right to me.
    Oops! Oh no, Raymott, of course I am not suggesting that. If that was the case life would be much easier for the automated software translators for sure.

Well, before reading your post Raymott I would substitute dropping by lowering here, not because of the thesaurus, but because it sounded ok to me - something I can't explain.

P.S.: Feel free to correct any mistakes on my posts.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    Oops! Oh no, Raymott, of course I am not suggesting that. If that was the case life would be much easier for the automated software translators for sure.
    That's OK.
    I didn't think you were suggesting that. But sometimes things need clarification so that learners are not led astray.