Results 1 to 5 of 5

    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 1,157
    #1

    ... the surface of the ice is now dropping at a rate of up to 16m a year.

    Hello.

    BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | Antarctic glacier 'thinning fast'
    A study of satellite measurements of Pine Island glacier in west Antarctica reveals the surface of the ice is now dropping at a rate of up to 16m a year.

    Can I say lowering instead of dropping?

    Thank you.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,517
    #2

    Re: ... the surface of the ice is now dropping at a rate of up to 16m a year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daruma View Post
    Hello.

    BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | Antarctic glacier 'thinning fast'
    A study of satellite measurements of Pine Island glacier in west Antarctica reveals the surface of the ice is now dropping at a rate of up to 16m a year.

    Can I say lowering instead of dropping?

    Thank you.
    Sure!!

    "
    Main Entry: drop
    Part of Speech: verb
    Definition: let go of; fall
    Synonyms:
    abandon, bring down, cave in, collapse, decline, depress, descend, dive, duck, dump, fell, floor, flop, give up, go down, ground, keel over, knock, loosen, lower, nose-dive, pitch, plummet, plump, plunge, release, relinquish, shed, shoot, sink, slide, slip, slump, topple, tumble, unload
    Antonyms:
    ascend, mount, rise, take up
    "
    from Dropping Synonym | Synonym of Dropping and Antonym of Dropping at Thesaurus.com

    P.S.: I am not a English native speaker, if it is really important try to confirm with someone else.
    Last edited by Abstract Idea; 14-Aug-2009 at 13:46. Reason: spelling correction

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #3

    Re: ... the surface of the ice is now dropping at a rate of up to 16m a year.

    Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    Sure!!

    "
    Main Entry: drop
    Part of Speech: verb
    Definition: let go of; fall
    Synonyms:
    abandon, bring down, cave in, collapse, decline, depress, descend, dive, duck, dump, fell, floor, flop, give up, go down, ground, keel over, knock, loosen, lower, nose-dive, pitch, plummet, plump, plunge, release, relinquish, shed, shoot, sink, slide, slip, slump, topple, tumble, unload
    Antonyms:
    ascend, mount, rise, take up
    "
    from Dropping Synonym | Synonym of Dropping and Antonym of Dropping at Thesaurus.com

    P.S.: I am not a English native speaker, if it is really important try to confirm with someone else.
    I hope you're not suggesting that, since a list of synonyms includes 'lower', that you can interchange 'drop' with 'lower' wherever it appears.
    If you are, then this is wrong. That isn't the function of a thesaurus at all.
    There are perhaps one or two words in that list that can be substituted for 'drop' in this case.
    Arguably, 'lower' is one of them, but 'lower' is usually used transitively.
    'The ice is now lowering' does not sound right to me.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,517
    #4

    Re: ... the surface of the ice is now dropping at a rate of up to 16m a year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I hope you're not suggesting that, since a list of synonyms includes 'lower', that you can interchange 'drop' with 'lower' wherever it appears.
    If you are, then this is wrong. That isn't the function of a thesaurus at all.
    There are perhaps one or two words in that list that can be substituted for 'drop' in this case.
    Arguably, 'lower' is one of them, but 'lower' is usually used transitively.
    'The ice is now lowering' does not sound right to me.
    Oops! Oh no, Raymott, of course I am not suggesting that. If that was the case life would be much easier for the automated software translators for sure.

    Well, before reading your post Raymott I would substitute dropping by lowering here, not because of the thesaurus, but because it sounded ok to me - something I can't explain.


    P.S.: Feel free to correct any mistakes on my posts.

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #5

    Re: ... the surface of the ice is now dropping at a rate of up to 16m a year.

    Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    Oops! Oh no, Raymott, of course I am not suggesting that. If that was the case life would be much easier for the automated software translators for sure.
    That's OK.
    I didn't think you were suggesting that. But sometimes things need clarification so that learners are not led astray.

Similar Threads

  1. year by/after year
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Jul-2009, 08:59
  2. The Best Time of the Year In
    By kimroeun in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Jan-2007, 17:29
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-Mar-2006, 10:37
  4. Who could do me a huge fafour and have a look at my essay???
    By Dina1978 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-Nov-2005, 02:31

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •