Results 1 to 8 of 8

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,886
    #1

    donned

    They donned the air of the injured party.

    Without context, what is your reading of this sentence?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4,146
    #2

    Re: donned

    Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    They donned the air of the injured party.

    Without context, what is your reading of this sentence?
    They acted and tried to look like they were injured.

    The following is partly form Merriam-Webster's.

    don v.
    1... to put on (an article of clothing)
    2...take on...They (took on)(donned) the air of the injured party.

    air n... look, appearance, bearing

  1. konungursvia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 5,158
    #3

    Re: donned

    They took on the posture of the victim.

  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #4

    Re: donned

    A word related to don is doff - but while 'don' can be used figuratively (about a posture or attitude) 'doff' is chiefly (only?) used of clothes (particularly headgear); one might doff a cap or hat.

    b


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,886
    #5

    Re: donned

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    A word related to don is doff - but while 'don' can be used figuratively (about a posture or attitude) 'doff' is chiefly (only?) used of clothes (particularly headgear).

    b
    HEllo Bob,

    We can say "doff one's idea" to mean discard, renounce, reject it, can't we?

  3. konungursvia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 5,158
    #6

    Re: donned

    I suppose you can, in writing, to an educated reader, but generally, it won't work as an utterance, as it is sufficiently rare to be misunderstood. I've even heard "one's" is not strictly correct, and that we ought to choose his or hers.


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,886
    #7

    Re: donned

    Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    I suppose you can, in writing, to an educated reader, but generally, it won't work as an utterance, as it is sufficiently rare to be misunderstood. I've even heard "one's" is not strictly correct, and that we ought to choose his or hers.
    So it is not really a ghetto slang as distinguished from literary English?

  4. konungursvia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 5,158
    #8

    Re: donned

    Yeah. Also, "wearing" your ideas in English is pejorative. If you can don or doff them like a shirt, you are shallow and perhaps even a weathervane. I've heard expressions in the media like "he changes his ideas like he changes clothes" with this insulting meaning. So I don't think the proposed utterance is as potentially useful as it seems.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •