No matter/Regardelss/Whether - please help me!

Which of these sound most correct to you, and do they mean the same thing?

1. I'm sure we're going to have a good time, no matter if I try to kiss you or not.
    2. I'm sure we're going to have a good time, regardless of me trying to kiss you or not.
    3. I'm sure we're going to have a good time, whether or not I try to kiss you.
    4. I'm sure we're going to have a good time, whether I try to kiss you or not.

Or is there a better way to say this? In case non of them make sense, what I'm trying to say is that "I'm sure we are going to have a good time if I try to kiss you, but I'm also sure we're going to have ha good time if I don't try to kiss you."

Would appreciate help from a native speaker.

Thanks!
    Last edited by sb_stefan; 15-Aug-2009 at 06:52.

Smile Re: No matter/Regardelss/Whether - please help me!

Quote Originally Posted by sb_stefan View Post
    Which of these sound most correct to you, and do they mean the same thing?

1. I'm sure we're going to have a good time, no matter if I try to kiss you or not.
    2. I'm sure we're going to have a good time, regardless of me trying to kiss you or not.
    3. I'm sure we're going to have a good time, whether or not I try to kiss you.
    4. I'm sure we're going to have a good time, whether I try to kiss you or not.
    Or is there a better way to say this? In case non of them make sense, what I'm trying to say is that "I'm sure we are going to have a good time if I try to kiss you, but I'm also sure we're going to have ha good time if I don't try to kiss you."

Would appreciate help from a native speaker.

Thanks!

First, I would say leave out the comma in the second part.

Number two is rather odd and awkward sounding, though I would say correct in a technical sense. I wouldn't use it.

Number three and four are the best ones.

Number one sounds familiar - like something I hear or have heard. Though the use of "no matter" in this sentence sounds kind of rigid to me - not the most natural sounding. "No matter" is usually followed by a "wh" word, as in "No matter what the weather is like, we're going for a walk in the park". Yes, it's usually followed by a "wh" word, which is why, though familiar sounding, "no matter if" doesn't sound good to me. I've consulted a few references and did not see "no matter if", just "no matter" followed by a "wh" word (or 'how', an "h" word).

Obviously, this usage is widespread, but there's something about it that strikes me as kind of odd: "no matter if" - Google Search. I prefer "no matter whether".

Last edited by PROESL; 15-Aug-2009 at 07:21.