• Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Question Where Should we Use Having

Hi,

With you all your knowledge of English grammar, where do you use the word 'having'.

Are these sentences correct, if yes why and if no why not (what is the grammatical logic)

I am having a pen

I am having a headache

I am having lunch.

I am having a conversation.

She was having a dream.

I am having problems with internet for past few weeks.

Across the call center industry in India, it is taught and trained that the word "having" has limited usage and is used only in few scenarios, ex

I am having food (consumption)
    I am having a baby (pregnancy)
    I am having fun. (desired experience)
    I am having sex. (desired experience)
    Having said that....
    I cant recall one or two more usages,

Rest all of the other usages are claimed to be incorrect.

Whats you take on this..

Smile Re: Where Should we Use Having

Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    Hi,

With you all your knowledge of English grammar, where do you use the word 'having'.

Are these sentences correct, if yes why and if no why not (what is the grammatical logic)

I am having a pen

I am having a headache

I am having lunch.

I am having a conversation.

She was having a dream.

I am having problems with internet for past few weeks.

Across the call center industry in India, it is taught and trained that the word "having" has limited usage and is used only in few scenarios, ex

I am having food (consumption)
    I am having a baby (pregnancy)
    I am having fun. (desired experience)
    I am having sex. (desired experience)
    Having said that....
    I cant recall one or two more usages,

Rest all of the other usages are claimed to be incorrect.

Whats you take on this..
    Hi,

These are interesting and good questions. Here's my take on it.

I am having a pen. - This is not correct because when we use "have" for possession, it is a stative verb, which means we can't use it as a progressive verb.

I am having a headache. - We would not use "have" to express experiencing a headache. Even though a headache is an experience, we think of it as something someone possesses.

I am having a conversation. - This is correct. We use "have" as a progressive verb for activities. We can use the simple present form as well. "We have good conversations every time we meet", for example.

I am having a wonderful dream. - This is a grammatical possibility, but it sounds strange because we sleep while we are dreaming. In Martin Luther Kings famous speech, he says "I have a dream". It would be incorrect to say "I'm having a dream" because "a dream", in that context is something he possesses, as do others. Your example sentence can be viewed as a temporary activity, but, as I said, it's not logical to think that someone can say "I'm having a dream" while sleeping. If that were possible, then the drugs would have to be very special to allow this to happen.

I am having food (consumption) - It sounds strange with the word "food". I'm having dinner. I'm having lunch. I'm having breakfast. I'm having a cup of coffee. - temporary activities - This usage of "have" as a progressive verb is applied to other activities as well. - I'm having a good time. They're having a party. And so on.
    I am having a baby (pregnancy) - In the process of giving birth - temporary activity
    I am having fun. (desired experience) - Temporary activity
    I am having sex. (desired experience) - Temporary activity
    Having said that.... Now that I've said that ... Because I've said that ...

We can use "have" as a progressive verb to talk about an activity. Other times "have" is a stative verb, used to express possession, and it can't be used as a progressive verb.

The phrase "having said that" is a kind of fixed expression, which can be classified as an adverbial phrase because it answers the question "why" - "because I said that, I'm now ..." - "having said that, I'm now ... - And the speaker would begin the next part of his speech or talk accordingly:

Having said that, I'm now going to say this ...

Similar to "having said that" is the phrase "that said", which is a reduction of "that being said". And "that being said" is an adverbial phrase as well. Like "having said that", I would call "that said" a fixed expression. It's used often by many speakers to set up what the speaker is going to say next.