Results 1 to 5 of 5

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 2
    #1

    is it "used to" or "use to"

    Hi,

    In this sentence is it

    I use to feel this way
    or
    I used to feel this way

    Thanks


  1. Raymott's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,622
    #2

    Re: is it "used to" or "use to"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ausgirl View Post
    Hi,

    In this sentence is it

    I use to feel this way
    or
    I used to feel this way

    Thanks

    It's always "used to".

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 26,076
    #3

    Re: is it "used to" or "use to"

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    It's always "used to".
    Yes. Also, in the negative using the auxilliary 'did', it's "didn't use to".


    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 2
    #4

    Re: is it "used to" or "use to"

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Yes. Also, in the negative using the auxilliary 'did', it's "didn't use to".
    Can you explain this "in the negative using the auxillary..." a bit more to me? I didn't really understand what you were saying, but I would like too.

    And sorry is it "but I would like too" or "but I would like to". I never know which too/to to use!

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 26,076
    #5

    Re: is it "used to" or "use to"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ausgirl View Post
    Can you explain this "in the negative using the auxillary..." a bit more to me? I didn't really understand what you were saying, but I would like too.

    And sorry is it "but I would like too" or "but I would like to". I never know which too/to to use!
    For example: I used to go to school by bus when I was young.
    I didn't use to go to school by car.

    It's 'to', 'too' means 'as well' or 'also'.

Similar Threads

  1. how to replace use of "used to" twice in a sentence
    By chakmangoo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Sep-2008, 00:56
  2. [Grammar] "Used to" versus "Would"
    By WonderWoman in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Aug-2008, 21:28
  3. "used to" and "would"
    By 126 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-Aug-2008, 14:03
  4. Using the past tense..."used to".
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Jan-2007, 04:46
  5. what do we mean by "used to"?
    By tarak in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Apr-2006, 09:19

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •