Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2006
    • Posts: 1,653
    #1

    College

    College stands for secondary school in Britain and university in America.

    During conversation, if one self-introduces himself as college student. What should I say in a polite way to make sure whether he's university or secondary school student to avoid embarrassment?

    Tks / ju

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,623
    #2

    Re: College

    Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post
    College stands for secondary school in Britain and university in America.

    During conversation, if one self-introduces himself as college student. What should I say in a polite way to make sure whether he's university or secondary school student to avoid embarrassment?

    Tks / ju
    Some secondary schools in the UK are called colleges, but the general term is secondary school.


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #3

    Re: College

    Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post
    College stands for secondary school in Britain and university in America.

    During conversation, if one self-introduces himself as college student. What should I say in a polite way to make sure whether he's university or secondary school student to avoid embarrassment?

    Tks / ju

    You could say "How interesting! Which college are you attending and what course are you taking?"

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,517
    #4

    Re: College

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Some secondary schools in the UK are called colleges, but the general term is secondary school.
    Just to confirm: So the American term "high school" is not used in the UK?
    Is it used with another meaning or isn't it used at all?

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,623
    #5

    Re: College

    Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    Just to confirm: So the American term "high school" is not used in the UK?
    Is it used with another meaning or isn't it used at all?
    Not in England and Wales I'm not sure about Scotland, but I don't think it is used there either.

Similar Threads

  1. Making a life changing choice
    By stonebutterfly04 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-Jan-2009, 10:11
  2. Since their days at college
    By redgiant in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-Dec-2008, 19:40
  3. College Degree
    By Unregistered in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22-Jul-2008, 03:53
  4. text about why people attend college, correct it please
    By Cache in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 24-Jan-2007, 12:18
  5. Will anyone please revise my college application essay?
    By inck243 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Oct-2006, 07:29

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •