Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 1,638
    #1

    from/since

    Hi


    To tell you the truth, from/since the very beginning I thought I would go by the seaside than to the mountains.

    --- I know that both "from" and "since" work here, but why? I know it's not always like that, these two are not always interchangeable.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,630
    #2

    Re: from/since

    Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    Hi


    To tell you the truth, from/since the very beginning I thought I would go by the seaside than to the mountains.

    --- I know that both "from" and "since" work here, but why? I know it's not always like that, these two are not always interchangeable.
    Compare: I have known him since 1985.
    I have known him from 1985.
    He has been here since 2 o'clock.
    He has been here from 2 o'clock.

    Can you see the reason?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 1,638
    #3

    Re: from/since

    Hi

    I think I understand.
    We use "since" when something started in the past and continues until now.
    And we use "from" when something starts right now and will continue into the future.

    But why both of them work in my original sentence?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 1,507
    #4

    Re: from/since

    Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    Hi


    To tell you the truth, from/since the very beginning I thought I would go by the seaside than to the mountains.

    --- I know that both "from" and "since" work here, but why? I know it's not always like that, these two are not always interchangeable.
    Actually, they are not interchangeable here, either: 'from' is correct.

    Cf.
    I have thought since the beginning that...
    I had thought since the beginning that...

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 1,638
    #5

    Re: from/since

    Quote Originally Posted by philo2009 View Post
    Actually, they are not interchangeable here, either: 'from' is correct.

    Cf.
    I have thought since the beginning that...
    I had thought since the beginning that...
    Hi

    Hmm, strange. Some other native speaker told me that both "since" and "from" work here?

    cheers

  2. Dawood Usmani's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 603
    #6

    Re: from/since

    Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    Hi


    To tell you the truth, from/since the very beginning I thought I would go by the seaside than to the mountains.

    --- I know that both "from" and "since" work here, but why? I know it's not always like that, these two are not always interchangeable.
    Only 'from' is correct.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 1,638
    #7

    Re: from/since

    So what is the rule here.
    I'm talking about something that happened in the past and is over because in fact I went to the mountains.

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,630
    #8

    Re: from/since

    Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    So what is the rule here.
    I'm talking about something that happened in the past and is over because in fact I went to the mountains.
    We use 'since' with the present and past perfect and when mentioning a time or date.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •