• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

foster parents/sleight-of-hand artist/a storm is brewing/peruse

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

There is one small hope for him. He might have foster parents soon.
    foster parents = adaptive parents

Ricky Jay is an actor, bibliophile, historian of magic, arguably the greatest living sleight-of-hand artist, and a master of the art of deception.
    sleight-of-hand artist = trickster, mugger, juggler

"Sire, I have every reason to believe that a storm is brewing in the south."
    a storm is brewing = something is preparing to happen, like the way clouds gather and the weather changes before a storm

"Has your majesty perused yesterday's report?" to peruse = to read thoroughly

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Re: foster parents/sleight-of-hand artist/a storm is brewing/peruse

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

There is one small hope for him. He might have foster parents soon.
    foster parents = adaptive parents Temporary carers/parents [Adoptive parents are permanent]

Ricky Jay is an actor, bibliophile, historian of magic, arguably the greatest living sleight-of-hand artist, and a master of the art of deception.
    sleight-of-hand artist = trickster, mugger, juggler

"Sire, I have every reason to believe that a storm is brewing in the south."
    a storm is brewing = something is preparing to happen, like the way clouds gather and the weather changes before a storm

"Has your majesty perused yesterday's report?" to peruse = to read thoroughly

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.