• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

which is better

Which of the two sentences is better?

This section discusses the involvement in sport of the EC institutions the European Parliament, the Council of the European Union and the European Commission, as well as that of the European Council, an EU institution.

This section discusses the involvement of the EC institutions the European Parliament, the Council of the European Union and the European Commission in sport, as well as that of the European Council, an EU institution.

Thanks.

Re: which is better

The first one is better since the second one places in sport in the middle of the series of organizations for some reason. I'm also curious about why the last organization is set apart with 'as well as' instead of being included in the list, and why a serial comma is not used in such a long and painful series.

I think it would read a lot more clearly if you wrote something like this:

This section discusses the involvement of the following EC institutions in sport:
    [list of organizations]

Also, perhaps it's a British usage I'm not familiar with, but 'sport' as a singular noun seems strange to me.

2. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Smile Re: which is better

The first one is better.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

The last organization is set apart because it is not an EC institution - it's an EU institution.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    Which of the two sentences is better?

This section discusses the involvement in sport of the EC institutions the European Parliament, the Council of the European Union and the European Commission, as well as that of the European Council, an EU institution.

This section discusses the involvement of the EC institutions the European Parliament, the Council of the European Union and the European Commission in sport, as well as that of the European Council, an EU institution.

Thanks.
    The first one is perfect.