Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Used to and would

Hi!
    I'm Emilio and it's my first time in this forum.

I can't understand the difference between 'used to' and 'would'.
    My teacher told me the secret is in the state verbs and action verbs...
    Could someone explain me, a little bit better, the real difference?

Sorry for my bad english (if someone want correct me it would be good)

Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Used to and would

Quote Originally Posted by emilio View Post
    Hi!
    I'm Emilio and it's my first time in this forum.

I can't understand the difference between 'used to' and 'would'.
    My teacher told me the secret is in the state verbs and action verbs...
    Could someone explain me, a little bit better, the real difference?

Sorry for my bad english (if someone want correct me it would be good)

Thanks!
    If I were you, I would post some comparative examples with "would" and "used to".
    When I was new here in this forum I used to post without examples, so it was difficult for the readers to help me. Nowadays I always post with examples.

The construction "used to" may be used when something which happened frequently in the past does not happen anymore in the present.

Smile Re: Used to and would

Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    If I were you, I would post some comparative examples with "would" and "used to".
    When I was new here in this forum I used to post without examples, so it was difficult for the readers to help me. Nowadays I always post with examples.

The construction "used to" may be used when something which happened frequently in the past does not happen anymore in the present.
    Hi Ymnisky,

Here are few examples of what this poster is looking for.

Jeff used to play golf every weekend, then he lost interest in it after his business started growing.

Jeff would play golf every weekend before his business started taking off. Now he's not interested in it and doesn't have time for it.

Jeff used to live in the country, but now he lives in the city.

We can't say "Jeff would live in the country" if we really mean he no longer lives in the country or once lived in the country. Living in a place is a state, condition, or a situation that continues in an ongoing or continual way, not with repetition or as a habit. We can view playing golf as an action which is repetitive or habitual. Therefore, we can use "would" in place of "used to" for that action.

Here are a few other verbs, or phrases, that are viewed as states, conditions, or situations.

work (at a particular place or for a particular company), be a member of a club, reside (similar to live).

Here's "would" used in a second conditional sentence, which shows distance in possiblity, not distance in time.

Jeff would live in the country if all his business were not in the city.

Sometimes these two uses of "would" overlap in a way.

Maybe Jeff would play golf if he had more time, but it doesn't really interest him anymore, anyway.

Jeff would play golf every weekend before his business started growing. Now he doesn't have time.

Jeff used to play golf every weekend.

Would you happen to have any examples?

Thanks,

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I think I got it PROESL, let us see:

habitual or repetitive verbs: play chess. solve problems, walk, run, read
    'situational' verbs (incicating a state): live, study a subject, work, be friend, love

When John was younger he used to play chess everyday. Now he doesn't do that anymore because he works as an intern.
    When John was younger he would play better chess since he used to practise everyday.

When John was training for the NY marathon, he used to run almost everyday. Only he wouldn't run on Sundays because his body needed some rest. (I am not sure if 'Only he ...' is ok here or if only the traditional 'But he ... ' works)

A and B used to be best friends on school time. Nowadays they rarely see each other.
    would --> no way here ! (A and B would be best friends but ... <- doesn't work)

Uff, this is difficult.

Is that so PROESL ?

You've just about got the idea.

'situational' verbs (incicating a state): live, study a subject, work, be friend, love - Yes, that's right, but we'd have to see them in context, as some verbs, or action types, can be habitual-repetitive and represent conditions, situations, or states. It depends on how they are used.

When John was younger he used to play chess every day. Now he doesn't do that anymore because he works as an intern. - This is correct.

When John was younger he would play better chess since he used to practise everyday. No, this one is not correct because "play better chess" represents the idea of how one used to be - a state - a better chess player. You can say, "When John was younger, he would play chess for hours every day, and he used to be very good at it".

When John was training for the NY marathon, he used to run almost every day. Only he wouldn't run on Sundays because his body needed some rest. (I am not sure if 'Only he ...' is ok here or if only the traditional 'But he ... ' works) - This is correct. Yes, you can use "only" like that.

A and B used to be best friends when they were still in school. Nowadays they rarely see each other. It's more common to say "hardly ever", but "rarely" is equally correct.

would --> no way here ! (A and B would be best friends but ... <- doesn't work) - Right, in this example, "would" doesn't work. It has to be "used to" because "friendship" or "being friends" is a state or a condition.

Note:

two words - every day - all the days, usually meant as consecutive days - They practice every day.
    one word - everyday - adjective - everyday people - everyday things

2. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    I think I got it PROESL, let us see:

'situational' verbs (incicating a state): live, study a subject, work, be friend, love

When John was younger he used to play chess everyday. Now he doesn't do that anymore because he works as an intern.
    When John was younger he would play better chess since he used to practise everyday.

When John was training for the NY marathon, he used to run almost everyday. Only he wouldn't run on Sundays because his body needed some rest. (I am not sure if 'Only he ...' is ok here or if only the traditional 'But he ... ' works)

A and B used to be best friends on school time. Nowadays they rarely see each other.
    would --> no way here ! (A and B would be best friends but ... <- doesn't work)

Uff, this is difficult.

Is that so PROESL ?
    ...Paul used to live in London because of his job but he would like have holidays when he didn't work.

He used to spend their holidays in Spain and he would go jogging whenever the weather was fine.

Isn't it?

When John was younger he would play better chess since he used to practise everyday. No, this one is not correct because "play better chess" represents the idea of how one used to be - a state - a better chess player. You can say, "When John was younger, he would play chess for hours every day, and he used to be very good at it".
    I have to think about this one again. I don't really think it's good to use "would" here, but one could say, "He would play better chess games".

You could say "he would play better chess", assuming that you are talking about individual chess games and not simply the idea of "playing better chess".

Do you know what I mean?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by emilio View Post
    ...Paul used to live in London because of his job, but he would have a holiday whenever he wasn't working.

He used to spend his holidays in Spain and he would go jogging whenever the weather was fine.

Isn't it?
    These are ok.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Salam Bhai Jan. How are you?

• Member Info