Letter to University asking for details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guilhermeff

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi there, I need some help in my letter. I want to write to some universities in the U.S to ask for some details. Thing is I have stopped English two or three years ago, so I am quite sloppy and having troubles with formal letters. Therefore I would appreciate if someone could help me, because I need to get this done ASAP.

Thks in advance

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am a 21 year-old Portuguese law student and next year I will graduate. I have studied fifteen years at the Lycée Français Charles LePierre in Lisbon where I got my baccalauréat in Literature. I have been studying English for almost a decade and already got the FCE and CAE Cambridge exams, and in the next eighteen months I will surely take the TOEFL or IELTS.

Has I have told you I will have a law degree in the next year and I am interested in pursuing my education. I had always interest in politics and therefore I am searching for a Political Science university where I can get a degree or do a M.A (do not know if it is possible since I will only have a law degree and none Political Science degree). Since I am Portuguese I would like to know if you accept foreign students and I would also like to know how many students do you usually take each year. Since I am not quite aware of U.S university system I would like to know if I should look for an undergraduate program or a graduate program. I am mostly interested in finding a course in International Politic or Comparative Politics.

Yours faithfully,

"ME"

-- ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Well at the moment I guess these are the important questions. After that I might think of others. Do you guys have any suggestion of questions to be made by a possible applicant? Please help me out with structure, gram, spelling etc.

Again thks in advance!

thod00

Member Type
Student or Learner
Start the letter by saying what you want from the reader. In this case you want to know if you qualify for one of their courses. There are two separate reasons you believe you may not do so. The first is a numerical limitation on the intake of overseas students, the second is the adequacy of your paper qualifications. They will expect you to have done some research on the internet and so know what courses they offer.

Dear Sirs,

In regard to your course 'International Politic or Comparative Politics' (ABC123) starting Sept 2009.

This query concerns my eligibility for the aforementioned course with regard to nationality and acceptable qualifications.

This tells the reader, probably a secretary in the first instance, what this letter is about. They will then be able to pass it to the correct department.

Guilhermeff

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thanks for your help. The thing is I want to know if I should look for a Graduate Program or a undergraduate Program, also how many foreign students do they usualy accept and do you think I could ask what is the average GPA?

wise owl

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Israel
Hi,

I think some questions should be researched in the internet first, usually universities provide general information (such as admission requirements and foreign students information etc) online. Before writing the letter make a query on these topics.

Regarding your letter, I would write the following: (I think it's better to write the questions in a more structured way)

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am a 21 year-old Portuguese law student and by next year I will graduate. I have studied at the Lycée Français Charles LePierre in Lisbon for fifteen years, where I got my baccalauréat in Literature. I have been studying English for almost a decade and already got the FCE and CAE Cambridge exams, and in the next eighteen months I am planning to attend the TOEFL or IELTS.

As I have already mentioned, I will have a law degree in the next year and I am interested in pursuing my education. I was always interested in political science, therefore I am searching for a Political Science University where I can obtain B.A or M.A.

I will be very obliged if you kindly answered my several questions regarding my further education in _____ (university name).
-Is is possible to obtain M.A for a student who has a B.A in law but no degree in political science?
-Could you tell me your policy concerning foreign students? Do you accept foreign students and are there any special requirements? I would also like to know how many students you usually accept each year.
-Since I am not quite aware of U.S university system I would like to know whether I should look for an undergraduate program or a graduate program first. I am mostly interested in finding a course in International Politic or Comparative Politics.

Yours faithfully,

"ME"

hope it helped :)

Status
Not open for further replies.