Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi,

Which is appropriate, Point in Time or Point of Time.

At that point in time of time, I was enjoying work.

At that point in time, I was enjoying work.

Are both correct, is there any difference in meaning? :roll:

Thanks

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There is no such expression as *point of time.

PROESL

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Thanks,
I would like to know how are point in time and point of time different and whats their correct usage

I have not used "point of time", and I can't say I recall hearing it. However, based on just a few glances - quick looks and observations that is to say - it appears that, perhaps, "point of time" is used in technical contexts or maybe things technological. For general purposes - general language - I would really recommend just using "point in time".

I did a UK search. It's interesting because it's possible to search specific countries with Google.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22point+of+time%22&hl=en&cr=countryUK%7CcountryGB&start=20&sa=N

Google - Australia
Google - New Zealand - and etcetera

As an aside, I'd like to add this:

I've learned to consult Google even if I have not heard the expression. In fact, I'm probably going to stop learning new things altogether because everything is recorded in Google. If we want to know something, we should go to Google. :shock: I don't have to know anything. Google has it all taken care of for me. :roll: :cool: :)

Be careful of using "at this point in time". Language critics have singled that one out for special attention. Too wordy they say. Just say "at this time". I kind of have to agree with this, but I wouldn't fault anyone for using it. It's not that bad.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I've learned to consult Google even if I have not heard the expression. In fact, I'm probably going to stop learning new things altogether because everything is recorded in Google. If we want to know something, we should go to Google. :shock: I don't have to know anything. Google has it all taken care of for me. :roll: :cool: :)

And I have found that Google contains considerable amounts of ungrammatical English posted by non-natives with a less than complete grasp of the language! I would advise using it with caution and discrimination, and as far as possible in conjunction with the advice of an educated native.

I will, however, modify my previous answer: there is no such expression as 'point of time' in normal, non-technical parlance.

PROESL

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
And I have found that Google contains considerable amounts of ungrammatical English posted by non-natives with a less than complete grasp of the language! I would advise using it with caution and discrimination, and as far as possible in conjunction with the advice of an educated native.

I will, however, modify my previous answer: there is no such expression as 'point of time' in normal, non-technical parlance.

I don't parley technical. And neither do I take very well to technical parleys.

:cool: :) ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.