Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,517
    #1

    press the point home

    What does the expression
    "press the point home"
    mean?

    Is it an idiom ?


    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 2,036
    #2

    Re: press the point home

    Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    What does the expression
    "press the point home"
    mean?

    Is it an idiom ?
    I usually say and hear "drive the point home". Saying simply "press the point" sounds familiar to me.

    Maybe someone else can comment on "press the point home".

  1. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #3

    Re: press the point home

    When you press the point home you "press" it until you are sure you have persuaded whoever it is you are trying to persuade that your argument is correct.


    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,517
    #4

    Re: press the point home

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    When you press the point home you "press" it until you are sure you have persuaded whoever it is you are trying to persuade that your argument is correct.

    Thanks RonBee, I think a good place to practise one's skills on pressing the point home is here at UsingEnglish. (lol)


    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 2,036
    #5

    Smile Re: press the point home

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    When you press the point home you "press" it until you are sure you have persuaded whoever it is you are trying to persuade that your argument is correct.

    That's interesting. "Drive the point home", as I understand it, is similar, but different.

    To me, "drive the point home" means "say something in such a way that someone really understands it". This would be by way of emphasis or, perhaps, a creative way of getting one's point across. I think with "drive the point home", the emphasis is more on providing understanding than on persuading or convincing. Certain expressions may have some flexibility sometimes, however.

    Last edited by PROESL; 20-Aug-2009 at 02:47.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,517
    #6

    Re: press the point home

    Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    To me, "drive the point home" means say something in such a way that someone really understands it. This would be by way of emphasis or, perhaps, a creative way of getting one's point across.
    When teaching his students, PROESL always drives the point home!


    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 2,036
    #7

    Re: press the point home

    Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    When teaching his students, PROESL always drives the point home!
    Thanks,


Similar Threads

  1. 'home' versus 'at home'
    By Filip in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-Jun-2009, 15:52
  2. weak point and good point?
    By flytothesky in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-Dec-2008, 10:33
  3. at home, at her home, in her home, in the home
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Nov-2007, 13:40
  4. "stay at home" and "stay home"?
    By simile in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-Sep-2003, 17:25

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •