1. Unregistered

"have gotten very worse"

please can someone shed some light on this for me

i've seen this written online, but it doesn't sound right to me to say "very worse".

many thanks in advance

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: "have gotten very worse"

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    please can someone shed some light on this for me

i've seen this written online, but it doesn't sound right to me to say "very worse".

many thanks in advance
    You are right, 'very worse' is wrong. I would be very interested to see the whole sentence.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

The reason is that 'very' requires a simple adjective (for example 'very bad') and not a comparative adjective (which would need to be preceded by a word that expresses the extent of the comparison - for example 'much worse').

However, if something is worse than 'much worse', it can be 'very much worse'. As bhaisahab says, the context would be interesting. It seems possible that writer meant 'very much worse' and that the omission of 'much' was a typo.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Thanks for the useful information on adjectives. Can you please tell me from where can I find more information of adjectives (simple, comparative) and how and where to use very and much with them?
    For that matter of fact, similarly where can i find information of adverbs, etc and their usage.

The infortamtion which you metioned why very worst is incorrect is not to be found in any of the grammar books I have read.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    Thanks for the useful information on adjectives. Can you please tell me from where can I find more information of adjectives (simple, comparative) and how and where to use very and much with them?
    For that matter of fact, similarly where can i find information of adverbs, etc and their usage.

The infortamtion which you metioned why very worst is incorrect is not to be found in any of the grammar books I have read.
    "The very worst" is correct, it's "the very worse" which isn't.

The basic rule is if it is an adjective of one syllable like 'slow' for instance, we add 'er' + 'than' for the comparative; "A bike is slower than a car". For adjectives of more than one syllable, 'beautiful' for example we put 'more' in front and 'than' after, the adjective doesn't change. I am more beautiful than you".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post

I didn't use quite the right terminology it's 'positive' not 'simple' (though maybe 'simple' would be better, as with the right terminology 'bad' is positive . Here's a webpage that explains the three degrees of adjectives: Grammar Mishaps: Positive, Comparative and Superlative Adjectives
    Note that there is a typo in the URL - the link wouldn't work if I corrected the spelling to 'comparAtive' - it's an easy mistake to make, because of the i in 'comparison'. But the Adjective has an A.

b

PS Incidentally, as bhaisahab said 'very worst' is OK. But it's OK for an interesting reason - that 'very' is not an intensifier, and that worst' need not be an adjective:

very bottom, very pinnacle... - absolute + <noun>
    very bad, very helpful... - intensifier + adjective
    worst witch, worst cake... - adjective + noun
    very worst - absolute + noun [where 'worst' means 'worst <noun>'. (Of course, it could be 'very <noun phrase>', in which case 'worst' would be an adjective: 'the very worst witch'
    Last edited by BobK; 24-Aug-2009 at 14:54. Reason: Added PS