• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

landscape gardner/ragtail appearance/the plonk drinker/an acid condition/

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

We have a professional landscape gardener.
    a landscape gardener = a gardener who arranged trees, paths, fountains, etc. to produce picturesque effects

The other three men had the rag tail appearance blotched skin and bleary eyes of the plonk drinker.
    rag tail appearance = the appearance of a person dressed in cheap worn clothes
    the plonk drinker = a heavy drinker

She tried to disguise her age with powder and paint and a ridiculous hair style.
    a ridiculous hair style = an eccentric hair style

Downstairs the doctor left three different medicines in different colored capsules with instructions for giving them. One for to bring down the fever, another a purgative, the third to overcome an acid condition.
    an acid condition = excess of acidity in the blood

He walked slowly as though it ached to move.
    There blew a sharp wind as though it were going to rain.
    as though = as if

It was just an ordinary door let in flush with the paneling.
    let in flush with the paneling = placed on the same level with the paneling of the wall so as to make the door quite unnoticeable

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Re: landscape gardner/ragtail appearance/the plonk drinker/an acid condition/

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

We have a professional landscape gardener.
    a landscape gardener = a gardener who arranged trees, paths, fountains, etc. to produce picturesque effects

A person who designs gardens, concentrating usually on the hard landscaping.They rarely do the actual work.

The other three men had the rag tail appearance blotched skin and bleary eyes of the plonk drinker.
    rag tail appearance = the appearance of a person dressed in cheap worn clothes rag-tag appearance
    the plonk drinker = a heavy drinker a drinker of cheap wine

She tried to disguise her age with powder and paint and a ridiculous hair style.
    a ridiculous hair style = an eccentric hair style

Downstairs the doctor left three different medicines in different colored capsules with instructions for giving them. One for to bring down the fever, another a purgative, the third to overcome an acid condition.
    an acid condition = excess of acidity in the blood More likely acidity in the digestive system.

He walked slowly as though it ached to move.
    There blew a sharp wind as though it were going to rain.
    as though = as if

It was just an ordinary door let in flush with the paneling.
    let in flush with the paneling = placed at the same level with the paneling of the wall so as to make the door quite unnoticeable

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.