Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. anupumh's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,110
    #1

    Arrow Is this sentence correct?

    Hi,

    Does the passenger want to travel from LA to SF?

    Is this questions grammatically correct? If not why? and what will be the correct form?

    (usage of does, usage of want)


    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 2,036
    #2

    Re: Is this sentence correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    Hi,

    Does the passenger want to travel from LA to SF?

    Is this questions grammatically correct? If not why? and what will be the correct form?

    (usage of does, usage of want)
    It's correct.

  2. anupumh's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,110
    #3

    Re: Is this sentence correct?

    In the sentence why wont we use "passenger wants" instead of "passenger want", as per the rule of SVA, passenger is singular so verb want should be plural...


    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 2,036
    #4

    Re: Is this sentence correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    In the sentence why wont we use "passenger wants" instead of "passenger want", as per the rule of SVA, passenger is singular so verb want should be plural...
    If we use an auxiliary, the form of the verb does not change.


    Does the passenger want to travel from LA to SF? - question form

    Yes, the passenger wants to travel from LA to SF. - statement form

    Yes, the passenger does want to travel from LA to SF. - emphatic statement using "does" - In this case, we don't change the form of the verb, so it does not take an "s", just as in the question form.

    It works the same way with "did" for questions and emphatic statements in the past.

    It works the same with "do", as well, but we don't have to deal with the verb changing or not changing. With "do", the form of the verb stays the same for present and past.
    Last edited by PROESL; 21-Aug-2009 at 00:48.

  3. #5

    Re: Is this sentence correct?

    In other words, use do/does + verb in questions.

    Also, if the person is a passenger, then they are probably already traveling. If asking about a passenger, more natural is this:

    "Is this passenger going to LA?" Or "Is this passengenger travelling from JFK to LAX?"


    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 2
    #6

    Re: Is this sentence correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by wlsullivan View Post
    In other words, use do/does + verb in questions.

    Also, if the person is a passenger, then they are probably already traveling. If asking about a passenger, more natural is this:

    "Is this passenger going to LA?" Or "Is this passengenger travelling from JFK to LAX?"
    But what if it's a customer who will likely be a passenger and they're just trying to confirm where they're going? Maybe he's not a passenger and he's going to be and he has to buy a ticket.

Similar Threads

  1. help correct my sentence
    By esophea in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 27-Mar-2010, 18:23
  2. Is this sentence correct?
    By snade17 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 31-Mar-2009, 00:12
  3. Which of the following sentence is correct?
    By brat in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-Jul-2008, 10:21
  4. Is the sentence correct?
    By Hanka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Oct-2006, 21:51
  5. grammar
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17-Dec-2003, 20:02

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •