• Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

• Post Thanks / Like

not equal to/get the better of/a friendly admonition for his one's own good

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to share with me your opinion concerning the plausibility of the following sentences?

I was not equal to the requirements of a Gubernatorial campaign in the State of New York.
    not equal to = not adequate or fit in ability or extent

Though, if passion should get the better of the public, and in its blind fury they should do the traducer bodily injury, it is but too obvious that no jury could convict and no court punish the perpetrators of the deed.
    to get the better of = become superior to or master someone or something; win out

I have to give him a friendly admonition for his one’s own good.
    for his one’s own good = for his one’s own interest

It is disheartening to virtuous men to see such shameful means resorted to the achive political success as the attacking of the dead in their graves.
    shameful means = disgraceful means

The people of Evansville were openly incited by both the parties to violence. A considerable number of voters were locked up in a coach house in a high state of intoxication. Many voters had to vote under compulsion.
    under compulsion = out of necessity, not of one’s own free will

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    Last edited by vil; 22-Aug-2009 at 08:35.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: not equal to/get the better of/a friendly admonition for his one's own good

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to share with me your opinion concerning the plausibility of the following sentences?

I was not equal to the requirements of a Gubernatorial campaign in the State of New York.
    not equal to = not adequate

Though, if passion should get the better of the public, and in its blind fury they should do the traducer bodily injury, it is but too obvious that no jury could convict and no court punish the perpetrators of the deed.

to get the better of = become superior to or master someone or something; win out overcome

I have to give him a friendly admonition for his one’s own good.

for his one’s own good = for his own interest for his benefit

It is disheartening to virtuous men to see such shameful means resorted to the achieve political success as the attacking of the dead in their graves.

shameful means = disgraceful means

The people of Evansville were openly incited by both the parties to violence. A considerable number of voters were locked up in a coach house in a high state of intoxication. Many voters had to vote under compulsion.

under compulsion = out of necessity, not of one’s own free will

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.