• Ireland

Re: Which is more appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by anupumh View Post
    Hi,

Which one is correct and why?

My hobby is listening music.

My hobby is listening to music.

Thanks
    "Listening to music" because we 'listen to' things, like we 'look at' things.

Hi,

Which one is correct and why?

My hobby is listening music.

My hobby is listening to music.

Thanks

My hobby is listening to music. < This one is correct.

My hobby is listening music. < This one is not correct because we can't "listen music". It's not possible to "listen something". We can "hear music", but we can't "listen music". We can only "listen to music". The verb "listen" is intransitive. It does not take an object. This why we use "to".

I know you are interested in grammar, and this leads to a larger grammar topic: gerunds and infinitives. Very few verbs are followed by the base form of a verb, and "hear" is one of them because it is a verb of perception.

Let's watch the band play. - watch - verb of perception -followed by "play", not "to play".
    Let's listen to the band play. - listen - not a verb of perception, and it's intransitive. Therefore, it takes a prepositional object: listen to the band play.

That's enough for this topic here. Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Thumbs up Re: Which is more appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    My hobby is listening to music. < This one is correct.

My hobby is listening music. < This one is not correct because we can't "listen music". It's not possible to "listen something". We can "hear music", but we can't "listen music". We can only "listen to music". The verb "listen" is intransitive. It does not take an object. This why we use "to".

I know you are interested in grammar, and this leads to a larger grammar topic: gerunds and infinitives. Very few verbs are followed by the base form of a verb, and "hear" is one of them because it is a verb of perception.

Let's watch the band play. - watch - verb of perception -followed by "play", not "to play".
    Let's listen to the band play. - listen - not a verb of perception, and it's intransitive. Therefore, it takes a prepositional object: listen to the band play.

That's enough for this topic here. Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.
    You seem to a grammarian and possess logics of almost everything

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Can you explain this in detail, intransitive and transitive verbs and how it takes an object and other one takes an object. And what are sense verbs and why they take prepositional phrase..?

Can you explain this in detail, intransitive and transitive verbs and how it takes an object and other one takes an object. And what are sense verbs and why they take prepositional phrase..?
    I would start here: Transitive Verb - Glossary Definition - UsingEnglish.com, and then begin a another thread in order to discuss the topic at greater length.