Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 1,157
    #1

    run up -- 2

    Hello

    run sthup
    1
    to allow a bill, debt, etc. to reach a large total accumulate: How had he managed to run up so many debts?
    2 to make a piece of clothing quickly, especially by sewing:
    to run up a blouse
    3
    to raise sth, especially a flag


    How had he managed to run up so many debts?
    Can I say "run up a debt" instead of "run a debt up"?

    Thank you.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,596
    #2

    Re: run up -- 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Daruma View Post
    Hello

    run sthup
    1
    to allow a bill, debt, etc. to reach a large total accumulate: How had he managed to run up so many debts?
    2 to make a piece of clothing quickly, especially by sewing:
    to run up a blouse
    3
    to raise sth, especially a flag


    How had he managed to run up so many debts?
    Can I say "run up a debt" instead of "run a debt up"?

    Thank you.
    "Run up a debt" is correct.


    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 1,157
    #3

    Re: run up -- 2

    1. He has a massive debt. He's been running up it since last year.
    2. He has a massive debt. He's been running it up since last year.

    Is only #1 correct?


    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 2,036
    #4

    Smile Re: run up -- 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Daruma View Post
    Hello

    run sthup
    1 to allow a bill, debt, etc. to reach a large total accumulate: How had he managed to run up so many debts?
    2 to make a piece of clothing quickly, especially by sewing: to run up a blouse
    3 to raise sth, especially a flag

    How had he managed to run up so many debts?
    Can I say "run up a debt" instead of "run a debt up"?

    Thank you.
    Yes, you can. But you can't say "run up it". If you use a pronoun, then you have to separate "run" and "up" - "run it up".



    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 1,157
    #5

    Re: run up -- 2

    Tom Purcell
    Bush ran our debt up from $6 trillion to $11 trillion.

    Is it better to say ran our debt up rather than ran up that debt if from $6 trillion to $11 trillion or something that follows it?


    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 2,036
    #6

    Smile Re: run up -- 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Daruma View Post
    Tom Purcell
    Bush ran our debt up from $6 trillion to $11 trillion.

    Is it better to say ran our debt up rather than ran up that debt if from $6 trillion to $11 trillion or something that follows it?
    In this sentence "our" means "our national debt", as in the US taxpayers' debt. This sentence makes more sense with "our" because the writer is referring to himself or herself and all the citizens of the US.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,596
    #7

    Re: run up -- 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Daruma View Post
    1. He has a massive debt. He's been running up it since last year.
    2. He has a massive debt. He's been running it up since last year.

    Is only #1 correct?
    Only 2) is correct.


    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 1,157
    #8

    Re: run up -- 2

    Bush ran our debt up from $6 trillion to $11 trillion.

    I wanted to ask:
    Is it better to say ran our debt up rather than ran up our debt if from $6 trillion to $11 trillion or something that follows it?

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,596
    #9

    Re: run up -- 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Daruma View Post
    Bush ran our debt up from $6 trillion to $11 trillion.

    I wanted to ask:
    Is it better to say ran our debt up rather than ran up our debt if from $6 trillion to $11 trillion or something that follows it?
    They are both fine.


    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 1,157
    #10

    Re: run up -- 2

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    "Run up a debt" is correct.
    Is "run a debt up" incorrect?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •