Pronunciation exercise - /ɪ/ - /i:/ - /e/

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorpio2002

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi there, I'm still practicing with pronunciation. Now I'm focusing on getting the vowel sounds /ɪ/ and /i:/ right. I find it difficult to make the /ɪ/ sound as I understand that it is not only shorter than /i:/ but it is also different in quality.

This is as far as I've got till now:

http://scorpio2002.altervista.org/ex3_ii.mp3

lead - lid - led
wheat - wit - wet
been - bin - Ben
cheek - chick - check
feel - fil - fel
reach - rich - wretch

Thank you again,
Donato

PROESL

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Hi there, I'm still practicing with pronunciation. Now I'm focusing on getting the vowel sounds /ɪ/ and /i:/ right. I find it difficult to make the /ɪ/ sound as I understand that it is not only shorter than /i:/ but it is also different in quality.

lead - lid - led
wheat - wit - wet
been - bin - Ben
cheek - chick - check
feel - fil - fel
reach - rich - wretch

Thank you again,
Donato

1. lead - lid - led
  2. wheat - wit - wet
  3. been - bin - Ben
  4. cheek - chick - check
  5. feel - fil - fel
  6. reach - rich - wretch
Set one and five sound like the ones that could use some work. The others are good.

It's hard to type quite precisely how I hear your pronunciation of these vowels, but at least it gives you something to go on. And maybe someone else can listen and post additional comments.

;-)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

lead - lid - led
wheat - wit - wet
been - bin - Ben
cheek - chick - check
feel - fil - fel
reach - rich - wretch

Thank you again,
Donato

Maybe my connection isn't fast enough, but I can only hear the first five words. In those, the vowel sounds aren't bad, but as PROESL says the first set could do with some work; but it's not so much the vowels as the final consonants - your /d/ is no sufficiently voiced (in fact, I'm not sure it's voiced at all).

(You can get the feel of voicing by touching your voice-box while you alternate /ssssssssszzzzzzsssssss/ or /ffffffvvvvvvvffffff/. You should feel the voice-box vibrating during the voiced consonant. This isn't so easy to feel for a stop consonant like /d/, but you can work on voicing if you start with fricatives - as I've described.)

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you all for your valuable help. Studying pronunciation is very difficult and without your feedback I wouldn't be able to do that.

Here are sets one and five again:

http://scorpio2002.altervista.org/ex4_ii.mp3

Any better or the same?

I can hear those 'loud and clear' (a usage typically used in wireless communication [the old sort - not WiFi]: the receiving radio operator would say, before any serious interchange, 'receiving you loud and clear').

The lack of voicing is still there. the /i:/ is a bit long, but it needs to be, to be distinct from your /ɪ/ - which is too similar to it in quality. But /ɪ/ represents a very hard sound to describe. So I think your versions of these two are fine; I think the only way to get them right is to be immersed in the sounds of an English-speaking country. In fact, if your main use for English is as a lingua franca to communicate with other non-native speakers of English, your versions may be more useful than more English-sounding ones.

b

PS I expect your spellings of 'fill' and 'fell' were just slips. But fill fell and fall have a double L, which becomes single in compounds: fulfil, wonderful... (fulfil - Wiktionary). And then, just to confuse you, the second L gets reinstated in other forms of the verb - fulfilling, fulfilled.... (Am English wisely avoids these problems ;-))

scorpio2002

Member Type
Student or Learner
PS I expect your spellings of 'fill' and 'fell' were just slips.

Well, I was so focused on the phonetic transcription that I got confused XD Thank you for pointing it out.

PROESL

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
I'm practicing with a different list of words... any better?

http://scorpio2002.altervista.org/ex6_ii.mp3

cheap - chip
beat - bit
seat - sit
leap - lip

Thanks as usual,
Donato

Yes, this sounds better. There is just one thing, however. The "ch" in "cheap" sounds just a very little bit like it starts off as an "sh" sound. This is very slight; however, it seems to be, also, ever so slightly noticeable to me. If you're really going for attaining native speaker pronunciation, every little detail is important. Push less air out, and make a slightly shorter sound. "Ch" is staccato; "Sh" is more legato. (sh - fricative and ch - affricate)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, this sounds better. There is just one thing, however. The "ch" in "cheap" sounds just a very little bit like it starts off as an "sh" sound. This is very slight; however, it seems to be, also, ever so slightly noticeable to me. If you're really going for attaining native speaker pronunciation, every little detail is important. Push less air out, and make a slightly shorter sound. "Ch" is staccato; "Sh" is more legato. (sh - fricative and ch - affricate)
I agree - both about the improved vowels and about the slight problem with the affricate. Bear in mind that the IPA transcription is /ʧ/; start with the closure for a /t/ and use the pressure built up behind the closure as a /ʃ/.:up: :)

b

scorpio2002

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thank you for your feedback. I'm trying to concentrate on one sound at a time, otherwise it becomes too hard :p

I made this list of common English words that I'm used to pronounce using the /i:/ sound but that should be pronounced using the /ɪ/ sound.

in, is, it, this, which, if, will, thing, did, live, little, give, think, before, different, difficult, big, why, kid, animal, build, still, city, begin, fish, list, wind, ship, king, kid, interest, invite, sing, listen, simple, appear, unit, sit, miss, bit, pit, pick, fit, lip.

Recording:
http://scorpio2002.altervista.org/common_words_i.mp3

Could you please point out which of these words need more work? Maybe each one of them needs more work :p

Thank you again for your patience,
Donato

PROESL

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Thank you for your feedback. I'm trying to concentrate on one sound at a time, otherwise it becomes too hard :p

I made this list of common English words that I'm used to pronounce using the /i:/ sound but that should be pronounced using the /ɪ/ sound.

in, is, it, this, which, if, will, thing, did, live, little, give, think, before, different, difficult, big, why, kid, animal, build, still, city, begin, fish, list, wind, ship, king, kid, interest, invite, sing, listen, simple, appear, unit, sit, miss, bit, pit, pick, fit, lip.

Recording:
http://scorpio2002.altervista.org/common_words_i.mp3

Could you please point out which of these words need more work? Maybe each one of them needs more work :p

Thank you again for your patience,
Donato

It sounds to me like "will" and "build" are a little off. It's hard to describe. However, this might lead one to believe that i before l, perhaps, presents a problem. I would try working more with words similar to "will" and "build" in which i comes before l.

The rest of the words sound good to me. Then again, maybe a BrE speaker should comment here, as, once again, I am an AmE speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.