sponge off/on

Hello

sponge
    to get money, free meals etc from other people, without doing anything for them - used to show disapproval
    sponge off/on These people are just sponging off the taxpayers.

1. sponge off/on somebody
    2. sponge somebody off/on
    #1 is correct, but #2 is incorrect, isn't it?

Do you prefer "sponge off" rather than "sponge on"?

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: sponge off/on

Quote Originally Posted by Daruma View Post
    Hello

sponge
    to get money, free meals etc from other people, without doing anything for them - used to show disapproval

1. sponge off somebody
    2. sponge somebody off/on (in the context you are talking about)

Do you prefer "sponge off" rather than "sponge on"? I've never heard of "sponge on".

Thank you.

Re: sponge off/on

Quote Originally Posted by Daruma View Post
    Hello

sponge

1. sponge off/on somebody
    2. sponge somebody off/on

Do you prefer "sponge off" rather than "sponge on"?

Thank you.
    It's not a question of what I prefer, but a question of what sounds more familiar to me. The phrase "sponge off" sounds more familiar, and I think it's more logical when we compare it to another expression with a related meaning.

Jack sponges off his girlfriend and his friends. The strange thing is that they all put up with it. One day Jack may be in for a big letdown when they finally tell him "no more".

American Indian tribes, indigenous people of the continent we call North America, lived off the land, and they did so with great skill and success.

Jack's girlfriend and friends help him live and get what he needs. Jack sponges off his girlfriend and friends.

The land gave the American Indians everything they needed. They lived off the land. And, of course, they lived on the land.

There's "live on": Being lost in the forest for a week, they had to live on what little food and water they had until they were finally rescued. They miraculously lived on one cup of water, two pieces of bread, and some peanuts for each of the seven days they were lost.

live off - to take from
    sponge off - take from

It's on me. I'll pay for it. Jack's friend Jeff always says it's on him. Jack sponges off Jeff.

on me - bear the burden - pay for

He carried the heavy sack on his back. His back bore the burden of the heavy bag.
    Last edited by PROESL; 23-Aug-2009 at 05:28.