'I hope' vs 'I'm hoping'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arda

Member Type
Student or Learner
I was taught that we don't use certain verbs with the -ing ending... and yet, I've come across "I'm hoping" or "I've been hoping" for a number of times/any of times... (btw. which one of these two means "quite often" ?)

So, what's the difference between "I hope..." and "I'm hoping..." Could you provide me with any examples and a good explanation?

Shorty-4-ever

Member Type
Student or Learner
:-D Well I hope that I am going to help you a little. I hope- is now you are hoping for something now. Hoping- is for the future. so I can put it this away prefix (ing) is in the future (ed) is in the past. I hope I helped.

Arda

Member Type
Student or Learner
:-D Well I hope that I am going to help you a little. I hope- is now you are hoping for something now. Hoping- is for the future. so I can put it this away prefix (ing) is in the future (ed) is in the past. I hope I helped.

Well i saw something on a website

The progressive form is commonly used to express the speaker's particular interest or concern in the statement-- this form highlights the 'nowness' and the 'activity' of the verb, and makes its impression more immediate.

'I hope we meet again' is more formal and less friendly than 'I'm hoping we can meet again'

what is it????

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I was taught that we don't use certain verbs with the -ing ending... and yet, I've come across "I'm hoping" or "I've been hoping" for a number of times/any of times... (btw. which one of these two means "quite often" ?)

So, what's the difference between "I hope..." and "I'm hoping..." Could you provide me with any examples and a good explanation?

Was "hope" one of the verbs you were told couldn't be used with -ing?
If so, you were told wrong. If not, your opening sentence is unremarkable.
This verb is a bit different from most verbs, so the distinction between the simple present and the present continuous is a bit more difficult.
"I hope" is used to express a hope that you have generally.
"I'm hoping" suggests that you are hoping it right now, or continually.
I hope it snows this Christmas. I'm hoping this pain is going to disappear soon. In fact, these two could be interchangeable.
I hope you had a good time; usually not I'm hoping you had a good time.
I was hoping you wouldn't ask that; usually not I hoped you wouldn't ask that.
But often they can be used interchangeably, and I don't want to give you the impression that there are any rules in this post.

"quite often": I think you mean "any number of times".

macanudo

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Japan
I agree.

'hope' means a wish for the future. We can't say the following:

I'm wishing I pass the test. OR I'm going to wish I pass the test.

So, 'hope' is always about the future.

I hope you have a good time.

'I'm hoping' is a little sooner more 'now':

I'm hoping we win the game tonight.

Generally, 'I hope' is used a lot more often - you can check googlebattle.com for a comparison of these two phrases.

PROESL

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher

The simple form "I hope" is more common and typical. However, someone would use the progressive form "I'm hoping" in order to make a stronger statement. The progressive form can, once in a while, have that effect.

Here's an example with the progressive form. You could use the past progressive, as well.

I'm really hoping it doesn't rain again this weekend. We're looking forward to bringing the grill to the park and having a cookout.

I hope it doesn't rain this weekend. We plan on having a cookout at the park.

;-) :cool: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.