... is developing a worldwide system to predict likely turbulence hot spots ...

Hello

Aviation long beset by turbulence - USATODAY.com
    The National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colo., is developing a worldwide system to predict likely turbulence hot spots, said John Williams, a scientist on the project. The team hopes to test a system next year that sends timely warnings to airline cockpits, he said.

Can I use "possible" instead of likely?

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: ... is developing a worldwide system to predict likely turbulence hot spots ...

Quote Originally Posted by Daruma View Post
    Hello

Aviation long beset by turbulence - USATODAY.com
    The National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colo., is developing a worldwide system to predict likely turbulence hot spots, said John Williams, a scientist on the project. The team hopes to test a system next year that sends timely warnings to airline cockpits, he said.

Can I use "possible" instead of likely?

Thank you.
    I do not think so. Likely describes something that is expected or probably going to happen and it has wide application where as possible descrbes something that is achievable and has limited application.

The only word that can replace likely is probable.

Re: ... is developing a worldwide system to predict likely turbulence hot spots ...

Medical experts speculated that drug abuse was a likely cause of death, though partial autopsy results will not be available until later today.

Can I say "probable" in place of likely?

This is the probable site of an ancient Roman temple.

Can I say "likely" instead of probable?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: ... is developing a worldwide system to predict likely turbulence hot spots ...

Quote Originally Posted by Daruma View Post
    Medical experts speculated that drug abuse was a likely cause of death, though partial autopsy results will not be available until later today.

Can I say "probable" in place of likely? You could say "the probable"

This is the probable site of an ancient Roman temple. You could say "a likely" but it is not as certain as "the probable".

Can I say "likely" instead of probable?
    Bhai.