• Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

pretty - word usage

I have a question about the word 'pretty' usage:

Last weekend, while watching the movie "The United States of Leland", I observed the following dialog, between a couple of teenagers:

Boy: No, I came here because I thought that guy was bothering you. And because I think you're really pretty.
    Girl: People don't say pretty anymore. They say stuff, you know, girls or whatever they say stuff is beautiful or cute. But I like pretty I like the way it sounds. It'is a cool word.

I didn't understand this dialog very well. Do they mean the word pretty is out of fashion nowadays among teenagers? What does the girl mean when she says 'they say stuff', what kind of stuff she means?

P.S.: Feel free to correct any mistakes in this post.
    Last edited by Abstract Idea; 24-Aug-2009 at 22:19. Reason: typo correction

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: pretty - word usage

Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post

Last weekend, while watching the movie "The United States of Leland", I obseved the following dialog, between a couple and teenagers:

Boy: No, I came here beacause I thought that guy was bothering you. And because I think you're really pretty.
    Girl: People don't say pretty anymore. They say stuff, you know, girls or whatever they say stuff is beautiful or cute. But I like pretty I like the way it sounds. It'is a cool word.

I didn't understand this dialog very well. Do they mean the word pretty is out of fashion nowadays among teenagers? What does the girl mean when she says 'they say stuff', what kind of stuff she means?

Yes, she is saying that people don't use "pretty" any more. Here "stuff" means things, objects, and apparently, girls as well.
    You might be interested in this explanation of the origins of "pretty":
    Online Etymology Dictionary

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Hey, your teacher and stuff?

where are you guys from and stuff?

what do you do for a living?
    I work as a writer.
    really, like books and shit?
    yes
    get out of here.

Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post

Last weekend, while watching the movie "The United States of Leland", I obseved the following dialog, between a couple and teenagers:

Boy: No, I came here beacause I thought that guy was bothering you. And because I think you're really pretty.

They say stuff like ... = They say things like ...

I wouldn't say "pretty" is out of fashion, necessarily, but it doesn't get the use it did at one time. At a time when life might have been less complicated and not as modern, as things are now, one might have heard "pretty" spoken more often in such a context or conversation. It has, by no means, gone out of usage, however. People still use the word "pretty".
    Last edited by PROESL; 25-Aug-2009 at 00:34.

Quote Originally Posted by marciobarbalho View Post
    Hey, your teacher and stuff?

where are you guys from and stuff?

what do you do for a living?
    I work as a writer.
    really, like books and shit?
    yes
    get out of here.

Yeah, do ya know anything about _'em, like where they're from and stuff? Let's go talk to_w_ 'em. Come on. What're ya waitin' for?

It's casual and informal conversation. Ya hear it all the time. Of course, some people may not care to use it. But whatever ... Ya know what I mean?

Last edited by PROESL; 25-Aug-2009 at 02:54.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Tell me the name of this saint.

All that is from the gods is full of providence. That which is from fortune is not separated from nature or without an interweaving and involution with the things which are ordered by providence. From thence all things flow; and there is besides necessity, and that which is for the advantage of the whole universe, of which thou art a part. But that is good for every part of nature which the nature of the whole brings, and what serves to maintain this nature. Now the universe is preserved, as by the changes of the elements, so by the changes of things compounded of the elements. Let these principles be enough for thee; let them always be fixed opinions. But cast away the thirst after books, that thou mayest not die murmuring, but cheerfully, truly, and from thy heart thankful to the gods.