Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hallo,
Could you please tell me some synonyms of "in order to"? I use the phase so much but I don't want to repeat it time to time.

What I have in mind is "with the purpose of", is this one of what I am looking for?

Thanks so much.
H

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hallo,
Could you please tell me some synonyms of "in order to"? I use the phase so much but I don't want to repeat it time to time.

What I have in mind is "with the purpose of", is this one of what I am looking for?

Thanks so much.
H

"With the purpose of" is ok in certain contexts but it's not really a synonym, "so as to" is better.

hanky

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
"With the purpose of" is ok in certain contexts but it's not really a synonym, "so as to" is better.

Thanks Bhai,

I suppose that are more synonyms of that phase. I am looking for them.

H

PROESL

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Hallo,

Thanks so much.
H

You can use "so that", but then the grammar changes because "so that" is a conjunction.

We did the experiment four times in order to be sure that the results were accurate.

We did the experiment four times so that we could be sure that the results were accurate.

You can also simply use "to" in place of "in order to".

We did the experiment four times to be sure that the results were accurate.

It's possible that "because" could work, but that would depend on exactly what you want to say - and I would, perhaps, the context.

We did the experiment four times because we wanted to be sure that the results were accurate.

hanky

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam

Hi, thanks for this useful link.

After having looked at this, I figured that one synonym of "in order to" is "for the sake of". It is funny that I didn't know it although I have used both phrases sometimes. :oops:

What I am really looking for is not only the synonyms of "in order to" but also phrases that are replaceable for the original phrase.

H

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
start by clicking here:
Google

hanky

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
You can use "so that", but then the grammar changes because "so that" is a conjunction.

We did the experiment four times in order to be sure that the results were accurate.

We did the experiment four times so that we could be sure that the results were accurate.

You can also simply use "to" in place of "in order to".

We did the experiment four times to be sure that the results were accurate.

It's possible that "because" could work, but that would depend on exactly what you want to say - and I would, perhaps, the context.

We did the experiment four times because we wanted to be sure that the results were accurate.

For example, I want to say like that:

In order to save money for electricity you are requested to turn off all electronic devices before leaving.

In this particular context, which phrases are replaceable for "in order to"?

Thanks a lot.

PROESL

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
For example, I want to say like that:

In order to save money for electricity you are requested to turn off all electronic devices before leaving.

In this particular context, which phrases are replaceable for "in order to"?

Thanks a lot.

I think it's better with a different phrasing.

So that we can keep the electric bill to a minimum, please, turn of all electronic devices before leaving.

The clause that starts with "so that" can come at the beginning as well. And I think that's the best way to do it here because it seems logical to emphasize the information contained in that clause.

Here are two more.

To keep the electric bill to a minimum, please, turn off all electronic devices before leaving.

As keeping the electric bill to a minimum is important, please, turn off all electronic devices before leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.