• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

PLEASE HELP-QUESTION ABOUT NOUNS/SUBJECTS

If I said "20 years is a long time." the subject of that sentence is 20 years. Is that "20 years" a noun? What part of speech does that fall into becuase it is really an adjective and noun, stating one thing all together?

It wouldn't be a compound noun would it? What do we call that when we use two separate words to state on thing, as in this case, 20 years is not referrring to 20 individual years, but one general time period. Please help, I am just confused. Thanks so much!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: PLEASE HELP-QUESTION ABOUT NOUNS/SUBJECTS

Quote Originally Posted by alkaspeltzar View Post
    If I said "20 years is a long time." the subject of that sentence is 20 years. Is that "20 years" a noun? What part of speech does that fall into becuase it is really an adjective and noun, stating one thing all together?

It wouldn't be a compound noun would it? What do we call that when we use two separate words to state on thing, as in this case, 20 years is not referrring to 20 individual years, but one general time period. Please help, I am just confused. Thanks so much!
    "Twenty years" is a noun phrase which, as you say is the subject of the sentence

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

But i don't understand. I thought a noun phrase was just the adjectives plus the noun as in "The wild kid...." The subject is still the kid, it is just that 'the wild kid' is the complete noun phrase.

But in my example "20 years is a long time", 20 is not the subject, nor is years, but 20 years is the subject, so how can that be called a noun phrase?

Maybe my definition is wrong, can you explain this and what exaclty a noun phrase is?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by alkaspeltzar View Post
    But i don't understand. I thought a noun phrase was just the adjectives plus the noun as in "The wild kid...." The subject is still the kid, it is just that 'the wild kid' is the complete noun phrase.
    There are different approaches to this, but I recommend you think of the whole noun phrase as the subject.

But in my example "20 years is a long time", 20 is not the subject, nor is years, but 20 years is the subject, so how can that be called a noun phrase?
    "noun phrase" is the category of the expression; "subject" is its grammatical function in the sentence. They are two different types of analysis. One tells you what the expression is, the other tells you what it does, or how it is related to the rest of the sentence - just as we can describe a person as a girl (what she is) and at the same time a daughter (how she is related to others).

Maybe my definition is wrong, can you explain this and what exaclty a noun phrase is?
    It is a group of one or more words - usually continuous - which can occupy the same slot in the sentence as a noun or pronoun.

"I am dreaming about her." (pronoun)
    "I am dreaming about beer." (noun)
    "I am dreaming about a chilled lager." (simple noun phrase)
    "I am dreaming about the two beautiful girls I met at the station this afternoon." (more complex noun phrase)

Hope this is some help.
    Last edited by orangutan; 24-Aug-2009 at 18:48. Reason: editing examples