Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,676
    #1

    Plural or singular?

    My instinct tells me "take" is correct, but I'm not sure.

    In interventionist countries such as Spain, Portugal and France, sport is considered a service of the state for the general public. Its promotion and development take/takes the form a partnership between the state and the sports movement.

    Thanks.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 620
    #2

    Re: Plural or singular?

    Hello, I am 'The French', I am not a teacher.

    In my mind I write 'takes', because you are talikng about both things, promotion and development, and the conjunction 'and' connects the two subjects, then you must use the plural form.

    Have a nice day.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,629
    #3

    Re: Plural or singular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    My instinct tells me "take" is correct, but I'm not sure.

    In interventionist countries such as Spain, Portugal and France, sport is considered a service of the state for the general public. Its promotion and development take/takes the form a partnership between the state and the sports movement.

    Thanks.
    Takes is better, take doesn't sound right to me.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,517
    #4

    Re: Plural or singular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    My instinct tells me "take" is correct, but I'm not sure.

    In interventionist countries such as Spain, Portugal and France, sport is considered a service of the state for the general public. Its promotion and development take/takes the form a partnership between the state and the sports movement.

    Thanks.

    The correct form here is takes, and it stands for singular, not plural. The verb cannot come into singular or plural, that does not make sense (it is not correct to say that 'take' is singular and 'takes' is plural) - but the verb here is used in the third person singular (takes).

    You could say: 'It takes the form of a partnership between the state and the sports movement.' OR
    'The sport's promotion and development takes the form of a partnership between the state and sports movement.'
    The sport's promotion and development
    is clearly singular, since sport is singular.

    By the way the clue here is given by the pronoun its (singular), if you were to use take instead of takes the pronoun should be their (plural). For example:
    Sport and culture are important in those countries, their promotion take the form of a partnership between A and B.

    P.S.1: Not a native speaker.
    P.S.2: Still learning English - If I am wrong I will appreciate any correction.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,517
    #5

    Re: Plural or singular?

    Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    For example:
    Sport and culture are important in those countries, their promotion take the form of a partnership between A and B.

    Rereading my post, I am in doubt here, on my own example.
    Now I think maybe it is better to say
    "Their promotion takes the form of a partnership between A and B."

    I would like to read someone else's opinion.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,629
    #6

    Re: Plural or singular?

    Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    Rereading my post, I am in doubt here, on my own example.
    Now I think maybe it is better to say
    "Their promotion takes the form of a partnership between A and B."

    I would like to read someone else's opinion.
    If you take "promotion and development" as a unit then it's third person singular and the verb should be "takes", if, however, you take them as two seperate things it's plural and the verb should be "take". In fact I think both are acceptable it's just that when I read it the first time I thought it sounded better with "takes".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 620
    #7

    Re: Plural or singular?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    If you take "promotion and development" as a unit then it's third person singular and the verb should be "takes", if, however, you take them as two seperate things it's plural and the verb should be "take". In fact I think both are acceptable it's just that when I read it the first time I thought it sounded better with "takes".
    Hello teacher,

    I disagree with because I think the conjunction 'and' (not or) connect the two subjects and the right form needs to be in plural. I mistake myself at the beginning.

    In French, we have: Sa promotion et le développement sont ... (idem avec prendre).

    What do you think about my explanation?

    See you soon.

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,629
    #8

    Re: Plural or singular?

    Quote Originally Posted by The French View Post
    Hello teacher,

    I disagree with because I think the conjunction 'and' (not or) connect the two subjects and the right form needs to be in plural. I mistake myself at the beginning.

    In French, we have: Sa promotion et le développement sont ... (idem avec prendre).

    What do you think about my explanation?

    See you soon.
    I agree that in French it is plural but in French we say "It's/her promotion and the development..." which makes it much more definitely plural. In English "promotion and development could be taken as singular and I find both singular and plural acceptable.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,517
    #9

    Re: Plural or singular?

    Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post

    By the way the clue here is given by the pronoun its (singular), if you were to use take instead of takes the pronoun should be their (plural). For example:
    Sport and culture are important in those countries, their promotion take the form of a partnership between A and B.
    I am awfully sorry. I have written a tremendous nonsense. See the following counterexamples:

    Meg and Ryan have a new car. Their car is new.
    And they have two old bycicles. Their bycicles are old.
    Meg's hands are beautiful. Her hands are beautiful.
    Meg's sister is pretty. Her sister is pretty.

    There is no such connection between the possessive pronoun and the verb form. Please forgive my mistake.

    P.S.1: Not a native speaker.
    P.S.2: Still learning English - If I am wrong I will appreciate any corrections.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Singular, plural and noun conundrum
    By Joe333 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-Jul-2009, 20:37
  2. [Grammar] Singular or plural
    By Joe333 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Jul-2009, 19:23
  3. Singular and plural and their effects
    By Progress in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-Aug-2007, 14:28
  4. verbs
    By eyescold_07 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-Aug-2005, 06:32
  5. Is 'manners' plural or singular?
    By peppy_man in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Jun-2005, 23:53

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •