• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

they vs these

The national federation exists to provide a set of uniform rules and to ensure these are enforced.

I think it would be correct to write "they" instead of "these" in the above sentence, but what is the difference between the two? Is "these" simply more formal?

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: they vs these

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    The national federation exists to provide a set of uniform rules and to ensure these are enforced.

I think it would be correct to write "they" instead of "these" in the above sentence, but what is the difference between the two? Is "these" simply more formal?

Thanks.
    Both "they" and "these" are correct above. And I don't know which one is more formal, they look the same to me. By the way, I think "The National Federation" should be capitalized.

P.S.: Not a native speaker.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

Does anyone know what the difference is between "they" and "these"?

Thanks
    Last edited by Allen165; 27-Aug-2009 at 08:11.

Thanks.
    I agree that "they" is better in place of "these" in your example sentence. Although both are correct in a structural, or grammatical way, "they", in a sentence such as this, is a more likely, or typical and usual, pronoun to use as a way to refer to a noun phrase, the noun phrase being "a set of uniform rules". To me, "these" would be better if it were followed by "rules", as in "these rules".

It is more likely that "these" would be used as a demonstrative adjective in such as sentence than simply as a demonstrative pronoun.

these rules - these - demonstrative adjective

There is no difference other than that "they" is more typical and usual for a sentence such as your example sentence. There's no structure or grammar rule to justify it. Maybe there is linguistic data to back what I'm saying here for a sentence such as your example sentence. Even if there isn't, that's my take on the question of "they" or "these" in this sentence. It's a good question.
    Last edited by PROESL; 27-Aug-2009 at 07:46.

Smile Re: they vs these

Does anyone know what the difference is between "they" and "these"?

Thanks
    I can only come up with academic observations here.

By itself "they" can refer to people. It, meaning "they" can also refer to things.

By itself "these" cannot refer to people, unless one is being rude or sarcastic. The word "these" can always be used to refer to things.

these - This word can be an adjective - a demonstrative adjective - or a pronoun - a demonstrative pronoun. The word "these" can be an object or a subject.

I like these. These are good. These shirts are good. I like these shirts.

These people make good shirts.

These make good shirts. "These" cannot refer to people.

By contrast, we can say "They make shirts", in which case we certainly know that "they" refers to people.

They're good shirts. The word "they" can refer to shirts and the people that make them.

they - The word "they" is a personal pronoun. It only functions as a subject. It is not an object.

This is a check mark X.

This is not a check mark X.
    Last edited by PROESL; 27-Aug-2009 at 09:20.