Post have/has quiz - stumped

Hi guys,

I was trying to figure out how to explain the reasoning behind the following phrases to someone, and haven't been able to do so properly. I would greatly appreciate your help!

This is taken directly from a quiz available through this site, on the HAVE/HAS subject. There are two questions

1. I _________ got much time.
    - don't have
    - haven't

Obviously the answer is I haven't got much time. I can't figure out the rules of why we can only use "haven't" in this case.

2. _______ she got it?
    - Does she
    - Has she
    - Have she

The correct answer is of course, "Has she". We can't use "Have she" because it's not properly conjugated in third person there. If I use "Does she", my only option would be to use the form "get" of the verb "got".

Can anyone point me to a proper explanation?

Thank you!!!!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: have/has quiz - stumped

Quote Originally Posted by spgirl View Post
    Hi guys,

I was trying to figure out how to explain the reasoning behind the following phrases to someone, and haven't been able to do so properly. I would greatly appreciate your help!

This is taken directly from a quiz available through this site, on the HAVE/HAS subject. There are two questions

1. I _________ got much time.
    - don't have
    - haven't

Obviously the answer is I haven't got much time. I can't figure out the rules of why we can only use "haven't" in this case.

2. _______ she got it?
    - Does she
    - Has she
    - Have she

The correct answer is of course, "Has she". We can't use "Have she" because it's not properly conjugated in third person there. If I use "Does she", my only option would be to use the form "get" of the verb "got".

Can anyone point me to a proper explanation?

Thank you!!!!
    In 1) if you use "don't have got" "got" is redundant, "do not have" is already complete without "got". Also with the auxilliary "don't" the following verb stays in the bare infinitive.
    In 2) with the auxilliary "does" the verb stays in the bare infinitive as "get" as "Does she get it" or we use the third person singular form of "have" "Has she got it".
    In fact in 1) we could say that "got" is completely redundant as "I haven't much time" is fine without it.
    The prolific use of "to get" is often problematic when it comes to explaining why.