Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 72
    #1

    What would you choose?

    I Choose the correct variant:

    Receptionist: Good evening , sir . Can I help you?
    Mr. Norman: Good evening . I wonder whether you have any vacancies. I want a single room, please.
    Receptionist: Have you booked a room?

    The receptionist was very busy at the moment.
    1) True 2) False 3) Not stated



    II Choose the right form of the word:

    But at the age of five he was suddenly taken away from his ...........world and sent back to England (MAGIC)

    Answers which were given in the book:
    I 2) False
    II magical

    Do you agree with these answers?

  1. misiania's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 243
    #2

    Re: What would you choose?

    II - I agree with
    I - I would say 3, it is not stated. But since she answered the phone, one could assume that receptionist wasn't very busy, otherwise she would have not picked it up in the first place.

    Please note: I am not a native speaker nor a teacher.

  2. anupumh's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,110
    #3

    Post Re: What would you choose?

    For the 1st question, I would go with that she was busy. And the reason why I feel this is, that she did not acknowledge the customers query and straight away asked a question about the booking for the room.

    My experience with the Customer Service industry has taught me that the first thing which you do after the customer has stated his query or problem is to acknowledge him and then move to the probing questions.
    Thus as she skiped the step of acknowledgement, I would assume that she was occupied with something else.
    Though let me add, there could be other reasons as well. i.e. it was late and she was not interested to answer to the call, she was not feeling well, etc.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 1,032
    #4

    Re: What would you choose?

    Quote Originally Posted by misiania View Post
    II - I agree with
    I - I would say 3, it is not stated. But since she answered the phone, one could assume that receptionist wasn't very busy, otherwise she would have not picked it up in the first place.

    Please note: I am not a native speaker nor a teacher.
    It is not stated either that the customer/guest was on the telephone. I assumed that he was there in person.

  3. misiania's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 243
    #5

    Re: What would you choose?

    Quote Originally Posted by Searching for language View Post
    It is not stated either that the customer/guest was on the telephone. I assumed that he was there in person.
    You are right. I made an assumption. Nevertheless, above applies if receptionist was talking to him in person. If she was (VERY) busy with one thing, she wouldn't have started talking to him. Unless she is being very unprofessional.

    Thanks for pointing it out
    Last edited by misiania; 27-Aug-2009 at 23:41.

  4. anupumh's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,110
    #6

    Re: What would you choose?

    Quote Originally Posted by usignolo View Post
    I Choose the correct variant:

    Receptionist: Good evening , sir . Can I help you?
    Mr. Norman: Good evening . I wonder whether you have any vacancies. I want a single room, please.
    Receptionist: Have you booked a room?

    The receptionist was very busy at the moment.
    1) True 2) False 3) Not stated



    II Choose the right form of the word:

    But at the age of five he was suddenly taken away from his ...........world and sent back to England (MAGIC)

    Answers which were given in the book:
    I 2) False
    II magical

    Do you agree with these answers?
    An ideal response from th receptionist should be...

    Receptionist: Good evening , sir . Can I help you?
    Mr. Norman: Good evening . I wonder whether you have any vacancies. I want a single room, please.
    Receptionist: Sure sir, let me go ahead and check the room availability for you, meanwhile may I know have you booked any room with us?

Similar Threads

  1. Choose the right word or correct word?
    By Dawood Usmani in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-May-2008, 08:48
  2. Whatever you choose to sacrifice,
    By angliholic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-Nov-2007, 10:35
  3. choose commitment?
    By bosun in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Jul-2006, 07:54
  4. How to choose a teacher?
    By lnilva in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-Jul-2006, 08:50
  5. so choose to
    By navi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-Mar-2005, 07:32

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •