• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

Smile Us of Present Perfect and Simpe Past Tense.

Good afternoon,

I have read somewhere, that the Americans prefer use the simple past instead of the present precfect tense.

Albeit I understand it is easier the employ of the simple past, I would like to know if during one test called TOEIC, the both form are acceptable by the corrector.

Thank in advence for your reply and have a nice (it's not the case in Normandie, it is rainning now).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Us of Present Perfect and Simpe Past Tense.

Quote Originally Posted by The French View Post
    Good afternoon,

I have read somewhere, that the Americans prefer use the simple past instead of the present precfect tense.

Albeit I understand it is easier the employ of the simple past, I would like to know if during one test called TOEIC, the both form are acceptable by the corrector.

Thank in advence for your reply and have a nice (it's not the case in Normandie, it is rainning now).
    Even if you did the test in America, it would be a mistake to use the simple past where you think the present perfect is indicated. You are more likely to get yourself into trouble. Write English as you know it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Yes, but I guess The French asks about cases (sentences) in which Americans, Canadians etc would use the simple past, and Britons would use the present perfect to mean the very same thing.

Hmm... question.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by marciobarbalho View Post
    Yes, but I guess The French asks about cases (sentences) in which Americans, Canadians etc would use the simple past, and Britons would use the present perfect to mean the very same thing.
    I understand that. The answer remains the same.
    Even if an American marker uses the past tense in cases where someone else uses the present perfect, he/she would not mark The French wrong for using a correct tense. (In an ideal world).
    The marker may be a speaker of African American Vernacular English, but if he's an ESL teacher/tester, he will recognise a correct use of tenses, even it derives from BrE.
    What I am advising is that learners do not try to guess what version of English their marker prefers, but to use the version they know. It's all English.

I agree with Raymott: use the present perfect when appropriate.

The problem is that you can't simply ignore the present perfect. There are cases where even an American would always use present perfect. For example, an educated American would never say, "I worked here all my life, and I still enjoy my job!" He would always say, "I have worked here all my life, and I still enjoy my job!"

Also, your claim that Americans prefer simple past tense is incorrect. In *some* situations this is true. In many situations, however, Americans still use the present perfect. The example above is just one case in point.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

Quote Originally Posted by wlsullivan View Post
    I agree with Raymott: use the present perfect when appropriate.

The problem is that you can't simply ignore the present perfect. There are cases where even an American would always use present perfect. For example, an educated American would never say, "I worked here all my life, and I still enjoy my job!" He would always say, "I have worked here all my life, and I still enjoy my job!"

Also, your claim that Americans prefer simple past tense is incorrect. In *some* situations this is true. In many situations, however, Americans still use the present perfect. The example above is just one case in point.
    Hi, here is 'The French',

I claim that because lost people told me that American prefer the use of the simple past, but I can see you disagree with it.

You are located next to N.Y and I think you're right but what think American teachers.

Sorry for my mistakes but I am still climbing the moutain of the knowledge (don't hesitate to correct me).

Thanks for your help and your explanation, have a nice day.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Students shall hope they don't ask questions involving these AmE/BrE minor differences.

I don't think they will do this. They, above all students, know that these differences do exist, reason enough to let them for us to discuss in the forums.

And... to be honest.... I do think we all, learners, teachers and others, should ignore such details, and of course, stop criticising other nation's English.

As our dear friend Raymott states: it's all English. When we say a construction is wrong, we might be offending some.