• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

How to use "DESPITE"

Hi, I have a question about the use of "despite". Do I use "despite" correctly in the first sentence below? I am confused because I have used "that" in the sentence. What about the 2nd sentence, is it better (in terms of grammar) compared to the 1st sentence?

1/ Despite the ability of the technology to make patient data instantly available that can ultimately contribute to care quality, adoption and successful implementation of such technology is not always guaranteed.

2/ Despite the fact that the technology has the ability to make patient data instantly available and can ultimately contribute to care quality, widespread adoption and successful implementation of such technology is not always guaranteed.

Thanks so much,
    Jo
    Last edited by yinjo; 30-Aug-2009 at 10:01.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: How to use "DESPITE"

Quote Originally Posted by yinjo View Post
    Hi, I have a question about the use of "despite". Do I use "despite" correctly in the following sentence? I am confused because I have used "that" in the sentence.

Despite the ability of the technology to make patient data instantly available that can ultimately contribute to care quality, adoption and successful implementation of such technology is not always guaranteed.

Thanks so much,
    Jo
    Despite the ability of the technology to make instantly available, patient data that can ultimately contribute to care quality, adoption and successful implementation of such technology is not always guaranteed.

If you change the word order slightly as I have shown, it's fine.