Impotance/Significance

Hi

Above words (Importance/Significance) are interchangeable. Please advice.

Re: Impotance/Significance

Jaiswal,

Let's ask:

significance
    the importance of sth, especially when this has an effect on what happens in the future: a decision of major political significance The new drug has great significance for the treatment of the disease. They discussed the statistical significance of the results. We should be fully aware of the significance of television in shaping our ideas.

Can significance, significance, significance and significance changed into "importance"?

importance
    the quality of being important: She stressed the importance of careful preparation. Itís a matter of the greatest importance to me. They attach great importance to the project the relative importance of the two ideas State your reasons in order of importance. He was very aware of his own importance (= of his status).

Can importance, importance, importance, importance, importance and importance changed into "significance"?

Quote Originally Posted by Daruma View Post
    Jaiswal,

Let's ask:

importance
    the quality of being important: She stressed the importance of careful preparation. It’s a matter of the greatest importance to me. They attach great importance to the project the relative importance of the two ideas State your reasons in order of importance. He was very aware of his own importance (= of his status).

Can importance, importance, importance, importance, importance and importance changed into "significance"?
    No, I wouldn't recommend it. In a particular context 'importance' and 'significance' might be interchangeable, but not in these example sentences.
    Last edited by PROESL; 31-Aug-2009 at 16:18.

What about this?

significance
    the importance of sth, especially when this has an effect on what happens in the future: a decision of major political significance The new drug has great significance for the treatment of the disease. They discussed the statistical significance of the results. We should be fully aware of the significance of television in shaping our ideas.

Can significance, significance, significance and significance changed into "importance"?

What about this?

significance

No. Once again, I wouldn't say so. Just because something is significant - has a salient and perhaps useful meaning - this doesn't mean that it is important. I understand the confusion here. There could be sentences in which "significance" and "importance" are interchangeable, but not in these.

Thanks a lot. I still don't figure out why "importance" and "significance" are not interchangeable in any of the examples in this thread.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Thanks a lot. I still don't figure out why "importance" and "significance" are not interchangeable in any of the examples in this thread.
    I think that, for most purposes, they are interchangeable in your examples. They are not, however, as PROESL has said, always interchangeable, "significance" has other meanings than "importance".
    Last edited by bhaisahab; 31-Aug-2009 at 17:23.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Try these:
    You must realise the importance of cleaning your teeth regularly.
    You must realise the significance of cleaning your teeth regularly.
    (A child can be made to understand the importance, but not the significance).

What's the significance of the tattoo of the spider on your arm?
    (What does it mean to you?; Why did you get a spider?)
    What's the importance of the tattoo of the spider on your arm? (Usually none).