• Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

back in force

Dear friends...

is 'back in force' synonym with 'back in the game'?

meaning: active again.
    All of a sudden Jack was back in the game and running the department.

and... does 'back in force' emphasise that there's more determination involved?

Thank you.

Re: back in force

Quote Originally Posted by marciobarbalho View Post
    Dear friends...

is 'back in force' synonym with 'back in the game'?

meaning: active again.
    All of a sudden Jack was back in the game and running the department.

and... does 'back in force' emphasise that there's more determination involved?

Thank you.
    Their meanings are similar, but they would be used in different contexts. The phrase "back in force" does not sound familiar to me, but it's correct. The phrase "back in the game" is very common.
    Last edited by PROESL; 01-Sep-2009 at 15:25. Reason: typo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

She had just come back, and she would raise hundreds of thousands of people in the streets. She's the only political figure in the country who could do that, and Musharraf knew that. What is likely to happen -- and we're hearing this increasingly now this morning as a result of these events -- that Musharraf now has every reason to come out politically or publicly today and say that emergency rule is back in force.

He predicted that Israel would stick largely to air power for now, on the presumption that its war against Hezbollah would not be curtailed too quickly by the international community, in particular the Bush administration. # " We have no intent and no desire to go back in force

So what went down? The magazine circulation went down? BOB EDWARDS, Host Well, advertising went down. And as a result of advertising pages -- a lot of advertisers had to take a wait-and-see attitude. And I thank the advertisers who stayed. I thank the advertisers who will come back inforce, I hope. It's the same beautiful product.
    into Lebanon, " he said. " But if I'm wrong, and there's not enough time and if air power proves ineffective, then we'll do it, " he said, adding: " We're capable of doing it. We're not afraid to do it.

I wonder if 'back in force' also implies something/somebody is/go/come back because it/he/she has to.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Offroad; 01-Sep-2009 at 15:09.

I wonder if 'back in force' also implies something/somebody is/go/come back because it/he/she has to.
    The phrase "back in force" could imply that I suppose. It could exist in a context where it is an obligation. Coming back into force could be an obligation or something one has to do or a group has to do.
    Last edited by PROESL; 02-Sep-2009 at 02:11.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by marciobarbalho View Post
    "... emergency rule is back in force." This means that emergency rule is now the law again, as it was before.
    "We have no intent and no desire to go back in force". In the context this means "return in large numbers".

So what went down? The magazine circulation went down? BOB EDWARDS, Host Well, advertising went down. And as a result of advertising pages -- a lot of advertisers had to take a wait-and-see attitude. And I thank the advertisers who stayed. I thank the advertisers who will come back inforce,
    This means the advertisers who, in large numbers, will start spending money on advertising space again, like they used to.

Thank you.
    "Back in force" can have different meanings, but it is not synonymous with "back in the game".
    Bhai.