Results 1 to 10 of 10
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 1,638
    #1

    faculty

    Hello

    Is it all right to say:

    She teaches only people whose faculty is English.

    He teaches only people whose faculty is management and finance.

    ---Maybe there's a better way to say the same? It's about University, there are some faculties and different teachers teach different students from different faculties.


    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 2,036
    #2

    Re: faculty

    Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    Hello

    Is it all right to say:

    She teaches only people whose faculty is English.

    He teaches only people whose faculty is management and finance.

    ---Maybe there's a better way to say the same? It's about University, there are some faculties and different teachers teach different students from different faculties.
    We would say "whose major is" or "who are majoring in". We wouldn't use "faculty" to talk about what someone is studying, at least not in American English.

    We could say "whose principal course of study is" as well, but that's not as common as using "major" as a verb.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 1,638
    #3

    Re: faculty

    So,

    She teaches only people whose major is English.

    He teaches only people whose major is management and finance.


    But I think you can say that there are different faculties at this university?


    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 2,036
    #4

    Re: faculty

    Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    So,

    She teaches only people whose major is English.

    He teaches only people whose major is management and finance.


    But I think you can say that there are different faculties at this university?
    Faculty usually refers a group of teachers or professors that teach a particular subject - the history faculty, for example.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 1,638
    #5

    Re: faculty

    So "faculty" is wrong?

    Should it be then: There are different majors at this university?

    Could you give me some examples with faculty?


    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 2,036
    #6

    Re: faculty

    Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    So "faculty" is wrong?

    Should it be then: There are different majors at this university?

    Could you give me some examples with faculty?
    You could say that, but I think "you can major in a variety of subjects" is better.

    Here are some examples of "faculty" - "the history faculty".

    "history faculty at" - Google Search=
    Last edited by PROESL; 01-Sep-2009 at 13:14. Reason: inverted letters - typing correction

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 1,638
    #7

    Re: faculty

    How about: I chose computer science because there were no other majors to choose from.

    Is it OK?


    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 2,036
    #8

    Re: faculty

    Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    How about: I chose computer science because there were no other majors to choose from.

    Is it OK?
    Yes, you can say that.

    I know this seems confusing, but the specific usage of vocabulary can be that way sometimes.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,121
    #9

    Exclamation Re: faculty

    Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    So "faculty" is wrong?

    Should it be then: There are different majors at this university?

    Could you give me some examples with faculty?
    A faculty is a division within a university comprising one subject area, or a number of related subject areas (consisting of academic staff, ). A university has different faculties for different subjects such as Arts, Commerce, Science, Medicine, Engineering etc. Faculty generally includes professors of various rank: assistant professors, associate professors, and (full or part time) professors,.
    Example:
    1. This University is proud to have respected, accomplished faculty in Arts, who bring their knowledge and experience to the classroom.
    2. Harvard Law School has the most intellectually interesting and diverse law faculty.
    3. The students describe their faculty members of Social Science as knowledgeable, well qualified, and unusually devoted to teaching.

  1. konungursvia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 5,158
    #10

    Re: faculty

    I'd like to enroll at the Faculty of Arts. I'm sick of the morons at the Faculty of Sciences.

Similar Threads

  1. van`z thesis
    By vanz in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-Aug-2009, 04:58
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Jun-2009, 01:36
  3. Questions
    By ocean_soul in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-Apr-2008, 20:17

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •