1. Unregistered

Post Use of refers/refer

Hello all.

I am a native English speaker but like so many of us I have never been taught grammer. I am trying to edit a translation and would really appreciate help with using the term refer.

“indigenous medical practitioners” refer to persons who have knowledge and capability in health care, using local indigenous medical wisdom;

The plural 'practitioners' has lead to 'refers' being corrected to 'refer'. Is this correct and why?

There was a further example in the same vein;

“other alternative medicines” refer to health care based on medical knowledge other than modern medicine, Thai traditional medicine and indigenous medicine.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: Use of refers/refer

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hello all.

I am a native English speaker but like so many of us I have never been taught grammer. I am trying to edit a translation and would really appreciate help with using the term refer.

“indigenous medical practitioners” refer to persons who have knowledge and capability in health care, using local indigenous medical wisdom;

The plural 'practitioners' has lead to 'refers' being corrected to 'refer'. Is this correct and why?
    "refer" is not correct; "practitioners" is not the subject. The subject is the term "indigenous medical practioners"; the subject is singular, an 'it'.

There was a further example in the same vein;

“other alternative medicines” refer to health care based on medical knowledge other than modern medicine, Thai traditional medicine and indigenous medicine. Again, "refers" is correct.
    (The term) "other alternative medicines" refers to.........
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your help.
    Last edited by 2006; 03-Sep-2009 at 05:44.