why first of all not?

We have to choose the two words in the text.

It is undoubtedly true that people who are ambitious have a completely different way of looking at life from those who are not. _______________ (firstly, at first, first of all), they have a total commitment to what they are doing. ________________ (at last, finally, lastly), these people might produce better results because they are so motivated.

But on the other hand ambition can ruin our relantionships with family and friends, who feel they are not a part of our lives any more. _______________(last of all, at the end, last but not least), it could seriously harm other innocent members of society.

The first two correct words are firstly and at first. Why not first of all? Where is the difference? And the second two correct words are at last and lastly. Why not finally? Where is the difference? The third two correct words are: at the end and last but not least? Why does last of all is not correct?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: why first of all not?

Where did you get this exercise? Particularly, why should you believe that the writer's view of what is 'correct' or 'incorrect' matters? I don't have time at the moment for a detailed anwer, but don't expect much agreement!

b

We do that exercise in grammar school in the Matrix (book). Teacher said, that those answers are correct. So, I don't see the difference between some words. Or the difference even is?

And I just want to add, that we practised these words for argumentative essay. But like I said I don't see the difference between some of them. So, if somebody knows it, please describe me.. Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by 8Julieth8 View Post
    We have to choose the two words in the text.

It is undoubtedly true that people who are ambitious have a completely different way of looking at life from those who are not. _______________ (firstly, at first, first of all), they have a total commitment to what they are doing. ________________ (at last, finally, lastly), these people might produce better results because they are so motivated.

But on the other hand ambition can ruin our relantionships with family and friends, who feel they are not a part of our lives any more. _______________(last of all, at the end, last but not least), it could seriously harm other innocent members of society.

The first two correct words are firstly* and at first This means that at first (for example, when he was a young man) he was committed, but with age came disillusion . Why not first of all?** Where is the difference?

And the second two correct words are at last*** and lastly. Why not finally**? Where is the difference?

The third two correct words are: at the end*** and last but not least****? Why does last of all is not correct?
    * A prescriptive 'rule', of the irregular sort loved by pedants, held that the ordinal adverbs 'secondly' and 'thirdly' should be preceded by 'First'. But many people - including me - are happy with 'firstly'.

** Another such 'rule' was that 'first of all' shouldn't be used to introduce a list of fewer than three things (3 > all, 2 > both; and you can't say 'first of both'). A similar restriction applied to 'finally'.

*** 'At last' - like 'at first' - would apply to the content of the argument, and not to the argument itself. The same applies to 'at the end'.

**** This sounds very odd. 'Last but not least' tends to be used at the end of a very long list. 'I hope I don't forget anyone. I'd especially like to thank ... . And I should also say how indebted I am to ... . And, of course... . And none of this would ever have happened without the help of... . And last but not least... .'

b