• Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

skosh

Dear all,
    A few years ago, I learned that there was an Engligh word "skosh"(= a little bit) that originated in my native language Japanese. However, I still don't know if it's okay to use it this way.

Can you tell me skosh about your family?

I don't see this word very often. In fact, it was yesterday that I encountered it in authentic English publication for the first time. Of course my exposure to the English language is limited, but at least I read an English newspaper on a daily basis.

I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions over the use of "skosh".

OP

Re: skosh

Quote Originally Posted by optimistic pessimist View Post
    Dear all,
    A few years ago, I learned that there was an Engligh word "skosh"(= a little bit) that originated in my native language Japanese. However, I still don't know if it's okay to use it this way.

Can you tell me skosh about your family?

I don't see this word very often. In fact, it was yesterday that I encountered it in authentic English publication for the first time. Of course my exposure to the English language is limited, but at least I read an English newspaper on a daily basis.

I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions over the use of "skosh".

OP
    The only time I ever used it or heard it used, OP, had to do with measuring things, like in the construction trades.

Move it [a] skosh left/right/up/down.

Could you provide the publication where you saw it used? Is skosh even in dictionaries? [not that that matters, mind you.]

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

albeit, thankls for your reply.

I really appreciate it. I saw the word in an article written by a native speaker of English in The Japan Times, which is published for English speaking residents in Japan.
    I wrote "in authentic publication" to mean it wasn't in textbooks, but considering the fact that the newspapaer circulates only in Japan, the author may have used skosh for Japanese readers.

PS
    I googled "skosh" and found an interesting site.

World Wide Words: Skosh

I used it in Japan as a Japanese word for years before I realized that I had, many years before, been using it as an English word.

One day, a friend asked how we say, "a little bit" in English and I said, "Skosh". Both of us were surprised!