• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Post using 'Do you ever...' or 'Did you ever...'?

Dear teachers,
    #1 Does 'Do you ever ride a horse?' mean the same thing as 'Have you ever ridden a horse?'?
    #2 What does 'Did you ever ride a horse?' mean? Can you please give me a situation in which people would ask this kind of question?

Thanks in advance!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: using 'Do you ever...' or 'Did you ever...'?

1. Do you ever - in your day-to-day life now, do you do this? Oh, you live next door to a ranch? Do you ever get to ride a horse? (Note I'd actually say "go riding" for horseback riding, but for this exercise, let's leave it alone.)

2. Have you ever - up until this point in your life, and maybe you still will in the future, have you ever done this? From the time you were 2 or 3 until today? (And you still may tomorrow or next year or in 2040.)

3. Did you ever - I'd only use this to refer to a specific time in the past when horseback riding was a like thing to do.

Remember when you said you were going to that dude ranch for your vacation? Did you ever do that? Did you ever get to ride a horse?

or: Hey, back in 2003 when you rented a room from that guy who owned the barn, did you ever get to ride any of the horses he owned?

Despite what you hear about Americans never using the present perfect and always using the simple past, it would not sound right to me (an American) to say "Did you ever" as a replacement for "Have you ever."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Post Re: using 'Do you ever...' or 'Did you ever...'?

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    1. Do you ever - in your day-to-day life now, do you do this? Oh, you live next door to a ranch? Do you ever get to ride a horse? (Note I'd actually say "go riding" for horseback riding, but for this exercise, let's leave it alone.)

1. Here 'ever' is a hard word for me. My dictionary says it means 'at any time'. In this situation that my friend live next door to a ranch, can I just ask 'Do you get to ride a horse' and still have the same meaning?
    Another situation, I know that Jenny plays tennis, I want to know if she plays basketball, should I ask 'Do you play basketball' or 'Do you ever plays basketball'? Which one is more natural to your ears?

2. Have you ever - up until this point in your life, and maybe you still will in the future, have you ever done this? From the time you were 2 or 3 until today? (And you still may tomorrow or next year or in 2040.)

2. I have never eaten caviar. I want to know if Jenny has ever eaten it,
    #1 'Do you eat caviar?'
    #2 'Do you ever eat caviar?'
    #3 'Have you ever eaten caviar?'
    Which one is appropriate to ask? #2 and #3 are asking about the same thing? Why is #1 inappropriate(I guess)?

3. Did you ever - I'd only use this to refer to a specific time in the past when horseback riding was a like thing to do.

Remember when you said you were going to that dude ranch for your vacation? Did you ever do that? Did you ever get to ride a horse?

or: Hey, back in 2003 when you rented a room from that guy who owned the barn, did you ever get to ride any of the horses he owned?

Despite what you hear about Americans never using the present perfect and always using the simple past, it would not sound right to me (an American) to say "Did you ever" as a replacement for "Have you ever."

3. But can I ask him 'Did you get to ride any of the horses he owned' instead, as a replacement for 'Did you ever...'?

Wow! I have so many questions. I hope they won't bother you too much!
    Last edited by Heidi; 05-Sep-2009 at 02:59.