Underline the correct word in parentheses.

1. As we sat in class waiting for the test results, (you, we) could feel the tension.
    2. Hoping to be first in line when (they, the ushers) opened the doors, we arrived two hours early for the concert.
    3. If a person really wants to appreciate good coffee, (he or she, you, they) should drink it black.
    4. I am hooked on science fiction stories because they allow (you, me) to escape to other worlds.
    5. Lois often visits the reading centre in school, for she finds that (they, the tutors) give her helpful instruction.
    6. Nobody seems to know how to add or subtract without (his or her, their) pocket calculator anymore.
    7. Cindy is the kind of woman who will always do (their, her) best.
    8. Each of my brothers has had (his, their) apartment broken into.
    9. If someone is going to write a composition, (he or she, you, they) should prepare at least one rough draft.
    10. I’ve been taking cold medicine, and now (it, the cold) is better.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Underline the correct word in parentheses.

Quote Originally Posted by lindalinda1228 View Post
    1. As we sat in class waiting for the test results, (you, we) could feel the tension.
    Hard to say. Grammatically 'we' is right (so I'd put that). "You (one) could feel the tension" is more likely colloquially though.
    2. Hoping to be first in line when (they, the ushers) opened the doors, we arrived two hours early for the concert. Could be either.
    3. If a person really wants to appreciate good coffee, (he or she, you, they) should drink it black. Contentious. I'd say 'they'. You'd really need to know something about your teacher's social politics to get this right.
    4. I am hooked on science fiction stories because they allow (you, me) to escape to other worlds. Another tricky one. You'll either get 1 or 4 right.
    5. Lois often visits the reading centre in school, for she finds that (they, the tutors) give her helpful instruction. Yes.
    6. Nobody seems to know how to add or subtract without (his or her, their) pocket calculator anymore. See 3. I really hope the answer's 'their'.
    7. Cindy is the kind of woman who will always do (their, her) best. Yes.
    8. Each of my brothers has had (his, their) apartment broken into. his. Each is single. If it were "both" you'd use "have had their ... ".
    9. If someone is going to write a composition, (he or she, you, they) should prepare at least one rough draft. See 3. Not 'you'. I'd put 'they'
    10. I’ve been taking cold medicine, and now (it, the cold) is better. Yes
    If you don't know whether the marker approves of the singular 'they', you could hedge your bets by choosing different answers for 3, 6, 9.

R.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: Underline the correct word in parentheses.

They is the new he.