"help me do this" or "help me to do this"?

Re: "help me do this" or "help me to do this"?

Quote Originally Posted by Saad_1 View Post
    Both are correct. However, "help me do this" is more typical and usual than "help me to do this".

For example, to sound more natural in everyday conversation, it's better to say, "Please, help me carry these boxes upstairs" rather than "Please, help me to carry these boxes upstairs".

The verb "help" is part of a small class of verbs known as causative verbs.

These verbs are let, make, have (not for possession), and get.

The verbs let, make, and have (have as a causative) are not followed by "to". However, "get" is followed by "to".

The verb "help" is unique because it can be followed by "to" or not be followed by "to".

I believe I've observed that "help" is sometimes followed by "to" in a more formal style. I think this is so. For everyday conversation, I recommend not using "to" after "help".

Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    Both are correct. However, "help me do this" is more typical and usual than "help me to do this".

For example, to sound more natural in everyday conversation, it's better to say, "Please, help me carry these boxes upstairs" rather than "Please, help me to carry these boxes upstairs".

The verb "help" is part of a small class of verbs known as causative verbs.

These verbs are let, make, have (not for possession), and get.

The verbs let, make, and have (have as a causative) are not followed by "to". However, "get" is followed by "to".

The verb "help" is unique because it can be followed by "to" or not be followed by "to".

I believe I've observed that "help" is sometimes followed by "to" in a more formal style. I think this is so. For everyday conversation, I recommend not using "to" after "help".
    It is my experience that "Help me to do this" is a more commonly used written expression while "Help me do this" is more likely to be a spoken expression.

Spoken and written Englishes are different.

Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    It is my experience that "Help me to do this" is a more commonly used written expression while "Help me do this" is more likely to be a spoken expression.

Spoken and written Englishes are different.
    That's interesting. This has not been my experience, however.

It's true. Spoken language is not the same as written language. I wouldn't say, however, that "help me to do this" is more common in written language.

I think it's more common in a formal style, and I would not say that people always write in a formal style.

There are more language conventions to which one must conform in written language. However, I would not say written language is always "formal" language.