I teach school.

Dear teachers,

If you're a school teacher and telling about your occupation,
    saying "I teach school." be OK? Or better to say "I teach at school." or "I teach at a school."?

Thank you.

Re: I teach school.

Quote Originally Posted by bouji View Post
    Dear teachers,

saying "I teach school." be OK? Or better to say "I teach at school." or "I teach at a school."?

Thank you.
    For occupation --> I teach {___}. OR I'm a teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by bouji View Post
    Dear teachers,

Thank you.
    I agree with Albeit. However, if you want to include "school", you could say, "I'm a schoolteacher".

bouji さん、こんにちは!

- I'm a high school teacher.
    - I teach high school.
    - I teach at high school

Are these all OK?
    Last edited by Daruma; 04-Sep-2009 at 06:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Daruma View Post
    - I'm a high school teacher.
    - I teach high school.
    - I teach at high school

Are these all OK?
    Yes, they're okay, but the third one needs an article "a high school', and it would only make sense to say the third one in response to the question "Where do you teach?" or something similar.

What do you do? I'm a highschool teacher.

What do you do? I teach highschool. - It's possible, but I don't like it. I'd rather use the first one or say "I teach highschool students".

Do you teach English at an ESL school? No, I teach English at a highschool.

high school: Definition from Answers.com - compound noun

I'd say it's okay to use "highschool" as an adjective - noun used as an adjective. It's often written as two words, but it's about time we started writing it as one word. It's really a compound noun.

A high school is a school that is high, but a highschool is a school.

"highschool" and "high school"

Thanks a lot, PROESL.

Is it still rare to use "a highschool teacher" in place of "a high school teacher"?

Re: "highschool" and "high school"

Quote Originally Posted by Daruma View Post
    Thanks a lot, PROESL.

Is it still rare to use "a highschool teacher" in place of "a high school teacher"?
    I'm not sure because I don't often read or write this word. I believe that it would be, but I'd have to check.

Results 1 - 10 of about 1,590,000 for "high school teacher".

Results 1 - 10 of about 32,700 for "highschool teacher".

Well, there you have it. Type in highschool teacher, and Google thinks it's an error. So it seems that not a lot of people write "highschool" or "highschool teacher".

Did you mean: "high school teacher"

Then again, check out this search, and look at the bottom of the page. It's kind of an inconsistency, I'd say.

"highschool" - Google Search

Searches related to: "highschool"highschool scholarshipshighschool gedhighschool graduationhighschool internshipsmichigan highschool

Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    Yes, they're okay, but the third one needs an article "a high school', and it would only make sense to say the third one in response to the question "Where do you teach?" or something similar.

What do you do? I teach highschool. - It's possible, but I don't like it. I'd rather use the first one or say "I teach highschool students".
    I disagree that the article is needed, Proesl. It's certainly possible but I think I teach at high school is similar in nature to I teach at university/college.
    Last edited by albeit; 04-Sep-2009 at 16:37.

Quote Originally Posted by albeit View Post
    I disagree that the article is needed, Proesl. It's certainly possible but I think I teach at high school is similar in nature to I teach at university/college.
    "teach at university" - I would say "teach at a university".

I think Canadian English shares a few things in common with British English that American English does not.

I recognize "teach at university" - no article - as something that sounds like British English.

It would make sense, to me, for Canadian English to share some things in common with British English that US English does not.

I won't dispute that the sentence is not wrong without the article, but I would recommend using the article to students. Articles can be very tricky for ELLs.
    Last edited by PROESL; 04-Sep-2009 at 20:04.

Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    "teach at university" - I would say "teach at a university".

I think Canadian English shares a few things in common with British English that American English does not.

I recognize "teach at university" - no article - as something that sounds like British English.

It would make sense, to me, for Canadian English to share some things in common with British English that US English does not.

I won't dispute that the sentence is wrong without the article, but I would recommend using the article to students. Articles can be very tricky for ELLs.
    I'm not convinced that this is BrE having an influence on CdE, Proesl, but then I'm not unconvinced either because I don't really know.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that 'teach at {___}' is the more common collocation for any dialect, but I do think that it's available for use.

No matter, we've both given our opinions and the English language won't fall to pieces over this issue.

Have a great day, Proesl!