• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Question Keith Waterhouse

Fleet Street's finest died yesterday. When Keith Waterhouse hung up his typewriter in May, his friends feared it would kill him.

The end came quickly. Despite his prolific success as a novelist and playwright, Keith never gave up the day job. His twice-weekly column was his lifeblood.
    Waterhouse on Monday and Thursday was a must-read for millions. For Keith, it was a must-write. While his exemplary copy continued to flow, he was indestructible.

His frail body disguised a ferocious work ethic and dedication to duty stretching back over half a century.
    Q1 : What does the words I highlighted in blue mean?

Though he was weak, he had very strong work ethic and dedicated to his duty for a span of 50 years.

Am I correct about the intrepretation?

Q2: I know many people don't like Richard LittleJohn, but what you think about Keith Waterhouse. --This is an additional question if you know.

Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Keith Waterhouse

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Q1 : What does the words I highlighted in blue mean?

Though he was weak, he had very strong work ethic and dedicated to his duty for a span of 50 years.

Am I correct about the intrepretation?

Q2: I know many people don't like Richard LittleJohn, but what you think about Keith Waterhouse. --This is an additional question if you know.

Thanks!
    1. Yes you are right with your interpretation.
    2. In the 1960s and 70s I liked him as a writer, he was compassionate and witty. Unfortunately, with age, he became bad tempered and reactionary and reflected all that was intolerant and nasty about Margaret Thatchers Britain, I stopped reading him at that time.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Some of his novels are very good indeed and he did write with great style. I haven't seen the Mirror in years so I missed the reactionary ending. Billy Liar is a marvel of a book IMO.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Some of his novels are very good indeed and he did write with great style. I haven't seen the Mirror in years so I missed the reactionary ending. Billy Liar is a marvel of a book IMO.
    He moved from the Mirror to the Mail in the '80s Tdol, the Mail was a natural home for his new ideas.