a heavy rain shower

Hello.

Photo from Reuters Pictures - News, photos, topics, and quotes
    A St. Louis Cardinals fan watches the groundscrew roll out the tarp during a heavy rain shower prior to the MLB National League baseball game between the Washington Nationals and the Cardinals in Washington July 23, 2009.

Is "a heavy rain shower" be interchangeable with "a heavy shower of rain"?
    rain - Definition from Longman English Dictionary Online

Thank you.

Re: a heavy rain shower

Quote Originally Posted by Daruma View Post
    Hello.

A St. Louis Cardinals fan watches the groundscrew roll out the tarp during a heavy rain shower prior to the MLB National League baseball game between the Washington Nationals and the Cardinals in Washington July 23, 2009.

Is "a heavy rain shower" [be] interchangeable with "a heavy shower of rain"?

Thank you.
    Indubitably, Daruma.

Quote Originally Posted by Daruma View Post
    Hello.

Is "a heavy rain shower" be interchangeable with "a heavy shower of rain"?

Thank you.
    It's quite possible. However, I would not say a "heavy snowfall" is interchangeble with a "heavy fall of snow". I don't imagine anyone would really say a "heavy fall of snow", anyway.

I think "rain shower" is one of those adjective-noun combinations that really ought to be a compoud noun. If "snowfall" is a compound noun, then there really isn't any reason why "rainshower" should not be a compound noun. The pronunciation of the two together - "rain" and "shower" - justifies this. The same thing goes for bluejeans, which I believe the dictionary might recognize as a compound noun - one word.

blue jeans: Definition from Answers.com

No, not yet, but it really ought to be that way. Bluejeans: this is unique, unlike black jeans or brown jeans, for example. "Blue" and "jeans", when we say them together, sound like a compound to me. So what are the dictionaries waiting for? Approval from Strunk and White?

Last edited by PROESL; 06-Sep-2009 at 02:08.

Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    It's quite possible. However, I would not say a "heavy snowfall" is interchangeble with a "heavy fall of snow". I don't imagine anyone would really say a "heavy fall of snow", anyway.

I'm confused, Proesl. The question was about rain, not snow. Have I missed something? wouldn't be the first time.

But anywoo, while we're on snow, "heavy fall of snow" sounds perfectly natural to me.

Results 1 - 10 of about 832,000 English pages for "a heavy fall of snow".

You might be pleased to know that Google' really on top of things. You're already in seventh place for an exact phrase "heavy fall of snow" search.

Quote Originally Posted by albeit View Post
    I'm confused, Proesl. The question was about rain, not snow. Have I missed something? wouldn't be the first time.

But anywoo, while we're on snow, "heavy fall of snow" sounds perfectly natural to me.

Results 1 - 10 of about 832,000 English pages for "a heavy fall of snow".

You might be pleased to know that Google' really on top of things. You're already in seventh place for an exact phrase "heavy fall of snow" search.

No, you didn't miss anything. My mind just drifts from the center once in while. It floats downstream. - Know what I mean?

That's an interesting result from Google. I wouldn't have suspected it.

It's good to see that someone else uses Google as a language checker.

Yes, Google is right on top of things. In fact, I think we should replace the term search engine with Google. There's only one search engine: Google.

The thing is - it just sounds kind of uncommon to me to use "of" as a way to describe "fall" in relation to "snow". What kind of a fall is it? It's a snowfall.

Last edited by PROESL; 06-Sep-2009 at 04:24.