Since

Doesn't 'since' always come with a perfect form when it is used for a certan duration?
    I thought "I felt some hope for the first time since the morning." was wrong for that, but that seems to be used often when it is used as "for the first time since" in a past tense.
    How about "It was exactly five years since her father had died."? I believe "It had been exactly five years ince her father died." is correct grammer-wise.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: Since

Quote Originally Posted by iggthebegin View Post
    Doesn't 'since' always come with a perfect form when it is used for a certan duration? The duration should be
    from a particular time in the past until a later time, or until now :
    I thought "I felt some hope for the first time since the morning." was wrong for that, but that seems to be used often when it is used as "for the first time since" in a past tense. This is a sentence in simple past and there is no duration. Since acts as a preposition here. You can as well say this in simple present: I feel some hope for the first time since the morning. as this one; He wins the match for the first time since injuring his leg
    How about "It was exactly five years since her father had died."? This is correct as the period is from the time of his death till the event was told by the speaker.I believe "It had been exactly five years ince her father died." is correct grammer-wise. Yes, this is also correct
    SKP
    Last edited by sarat_106; 09-Sep-2009 at 03:42.

Re: Since

Quote Originally Posted by iggthebegin View Post
    How about "It was exactly five years since her father had died."? I believe "It had been exactly five years ince her father died." is correct grammer-wise.
    How about "It was exactly five years since her father had died."? I believe "It had been exactly five years since her father died." is correct grammer-wise. <<

Yes, this is correct.

When she moved back to California in 2000, it had been exactly five years since her father had died.

Her father died in 1995.

We use the past perfect to speak of time in the past up until another time in the past, whereas with the present perfect, we speak of time up until now.

She's in California now, and it's been exactly five years since her father died.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: Since

Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    How about "It was exactly five years since her father had died."? I believe "It had been exactly five years since her father died." is correct grammer-wise. <<

Yes, this is correct.

When she moved back to California in 2000, it had been exactly five years since her father had died.

Her father died in 1995.

We use the past perfect to speak of time in the past up until another time in the past, whereas with the present perfect, we speak of time up until now.

She's in California now, and it's been exactly five years since her father died.
    I stand corrected to this effect.