Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. phorntita's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 212
    #1

    I could imagine/you could imagine

    I wonder when we heard:
    1)Daddy was the best father you could imagine.

    2) Daddy was the best father I could imagine.
    What is the difference between these 2 sentences? Could you tell me?


    • Join Date: Sep 2009
    • Posts: 422
    #2

    Re: I could imagine/you could imagine

    Quote Originally Posted by phorntita View Post
    I wonder when we heard:
    1)Daddy was the best fath[I]er [COLOR=red]yo

    This is the general "you". It means anybody.


    2) Daddy was the best father I could imagine.
    What is the difference between these 2 sentences? Could you tell me?
    "I" means I.

  2. phorntita's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 212
    #3

    Re: I could imagine/you could imagine

    Quote Originally Posted by albeit View Post
    "I" means I.
    And when using this kind of this expression which sounds more sentimental than the other one. . Please


    • Join Date: Sep 2009
    • Posts: 422
    #4

    Re: I could imagine/you could imagine

    Quote Originally Posted by phorntita View Post
    And when using this kind of this expression which sounds more sentimental than the other one. . Please
    To my mind, I don't think that there's any difference, Phorntita.

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #5

    Re: I could imagine/you could imagine

    Quote Originally Posted by phorntita View Post
    And when using this kind of this expression which sounds more sentimental than the other one. . Please
    I'd say that "... the best you could imagine" is more superlative than "the best I could imagine", unless you are claiming that your imagination is better than everyone else's. (Assuming you are using a general 'you'). For a specific 'you', it would depend on the relative imaginations of you and the hearer.

  4. phorntita's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 212
    #6

    Re: I could imagine/you could imagine

    Quote Originally Posted by albeit View Post
    To my mind, I don't think that there's any difference, Phorntita.
    One reason is because our sense in our 1 Language becomes a slight question that needs some answers,I guess . What interests me is that this was some words "Paris" the only daughter of King of Pop (Michael Jackson) used in paying her tribute towards her father on stage few months ago. I think I've heard her say the word "You" instead of "I" in that said sentence. But the media reported that sentence using "I" which meant herself . So I think if I were her what word I would say at that moment. That's all.

  5. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #7

    Re: I could imagine/you could imagine

    Quote Originally Posted by phorntita View Post
    One reason is because our sense in our 1 Language becomes a slight question that needs some answers,I guess . What interests me is that this was some words "Paris" the only daughter of King of Pop (Michael Jackson) used in paying her tribute towards her father on stage few months ago. I think I've heard her say the word "You" instead of "I" in that said sentence. But the media reported that sentence using "I" which meant herself . So I think if I were her what word I would say at that moment. That's all.
    You could say either. They both make sense.

Similar Threads

  1. imagine herself as a ballerina
    By Tan Elaine in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-Feb-2009, 16:56
  2. imagine
    By Nefertiti in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Jan-2009, 03:18
  3. [General] conceive vs. imagine
    By thedaffodils in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 24-Oct-2008, 23:46
  4. Imagine
    By twilit in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-Sep-2008, 15:26
  5. wouldn't once imagine
    By KLPNO in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Feb-2008, 21:24

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •